LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pilot a power supply

Hello,

I am in internship and I have to pilot a power supply at first step, it is my first work on Labview... I am a very early beginner.

So my questions are:

- What are the main steps to do it? (I have dl the driver for my power supply GWInstek GPD-2303.)

- Is there any exemple that is similar? (I looked in help and forum)

Here is the program that I have started (link in the description)

Best regards,

Robin.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 23
(4,036 Views)

I'm certain other users in the forum will also tell you to first take the beginners' courses, since you will need that knowledge for your project. Also we're missing a lot of information, what is the interface you're using to interact with your power supply? Possible types are RS232, Ethernet, MODBUS, etc. Read the documentation provided by manufacturer, and work with that.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 23
(4,027 Views)

Hello,

Hum, then I will try to take time for it tomorrow. I have only 2 months to make my entire project... To interact with my power supply I'll use USB. I don't know what can be useful in the documentation provided by manufacturer, but well I'm going to look for it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 23
(4,022 Views)

Did the drivers come with any examples?

If working from scratch, I would use an Event Structure to catch the value changes of your various parameters and set the values using the appropriate driver VIs.  In the timeout case, read the measurements.

And since you are brand new to LabVIEW, I suggest going through some of the tutorials (most of which are completely free)

6 Hour Introduction
LabVEW Basics
Self Paced training for students
Self Paced training beginner to advanced, SSP Required
LabVIEW Wiki on Training
Learning NI
Getting Started with NI Products

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 23
(4,009 Views)

Hello,

Yes there is an example that can be really useful but, I can't run it. I can't even Initialize it, I know that my power supply is on COM3. But I have an error out: -1073807339. So I can't take it for base...

I will look at some tutorials this night or tomorrow for sure because I need to learn the basic to make my project anyway.

I give you the Example VI and the picture of the error.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 23
(3,999 Views)

Are you sure your communication settings are right?  (Baud rate, data bits, stop bits, parity ?)

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 23
(3,996 Views)

Hello,

No I don't know how to set the Serial Configuration, is there any way to know it? I don't see it in GWInstek GPD - 2303 datasheet. That's probably why I got this error because as I saw in some forum this error is a problem with "Flow control"...

I give you the datasheet about GPD - 2303 if you want to check.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 23
(3,986 Views)

My usual first step with new equipment is to use a manufacturers standard executable program, and then I will use LabVIEW.  That way you know the communications work and you can hopefully get the correct settings needed to communicate with LabVIEW.

You will also learn that some (most) companies LabVIEW drivers are not written well and can require some work to get working correctly.  Or modified to work the way you want. 

http://www.gwinstek.com/en-global/products/DC_Power_Supply/Programmable_Multiple_Channel_DC_Power_Su...

This page has usb drivers/manuals/programs/LabVIEW drivers

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 23
(3,951 Views)

Look at page 43 in the manual.

Datasheets are usuall just an overview of the item.  Most manufacturers have specific communication manuals in addition to the standard manual.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 23
(3,922 Views)

Do you have VISA drivers installed? Are they the version you need?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 23
(3,912 Views)