cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Physical Channels in Labview are not showing up

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I'm using labview 2019 SP1 and NI-DAQmx 19.5 to try and read some voltage from a pressure sensor. For testing I'm just generating voltage from a small, adjustable power supply. The power supply is wired into a NI-9209 which is in a cRIO-9056. Rio is powered, and connected via usb to a PC. In MAX I can see the channel and I can read voltage no problem. In Labview, when I try to select a physical channel, nothing shows up. I've tried the name filtering, still nothing. I can use the RIO and a NI-9870 no problem for serial communication with other instruments. I know NI-DAQmx is installed. I'm not sure what the issue is. 

Appreciate any help!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,902 Views)

You can't use NI DAQmx to program the 9209 module on a cRIO chassis. It's the wrong driver. If you open help..find examples and on the search tab type cRIO you should be able to find a project called "NI 9209 Getting Starded.lvproj". You will have to change that to your particular chassis but it should give you a start.

Now Using LabVIEW 2019SP1 and TestStand 2019
Message 2 of 7
(2,848 Views)

Hi GovBob,

doesn't the cRIO905x line support both ScanEngine and DAQmx nowadays? (Yes, it does.)

@Nadweb:

Did you choose the correct target when trying to select DAQmx channels?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 3 of 7
(2,810 Views)

Wow that's news to me. Thanks for the correction GerdW

Now Using LabVIEW 2019SP1 and TestStand 2019
Message 4 of 7
(2,791 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Hi GovBob,

doesn't the cRIO905x line support both ScanEngine and DAQmx nowadays? (Yes, it does.)

@Nadweb:

Did you choose the correct target when trying to select DAQmx channels?

Thank you both for the replies! I guess now I'm confused about what you mean by target? I tried to run one of the example programs, Continuous Voltage Input? I think it was called, but I didn't have to select a target. The drop down menu for physical channels was completely empty, and the pop up window after clicking browse was completely empty.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,787 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Nadweb

Hi Nadweb,

@Nadweb wrote:

I guess now I'm confused about what you mean by target? I tried to run one of the example programs, Continuous Voltage Input? I think it was called, but I didn't have to select a target. The drop down menu for physical channels was completely empty, and the pop up window after clicking browse was completely empty.

LabVIEW projects can handle several "targets": most common is your WindowsPC (called "My computer"). With a cRIO that cRIO realtime target can also be added to the project as another target - a cRIO is a computer on its own! And inside the cRIO you can also program the FPGA as 3rd target (when you also paid for the FPGA module).

Example VIs from example finder most often run in the "My computer" target. When your example VI is run this way it will only show the DAQmx channels available to "My computer", but not the DAQmx resources of your cRIO. You need to run that VI in the cRIO target of your LabVIEW project.

When all this is "too much" right now for you I suggest you go through the cRIO/realtime basics! (I just googled for "crio realtime basics" to find this tutorial, you may also look for tutorials dedicated to "DAQmx on cRIO"…)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,782 Views)

That worked! You are correct, things seem to be in order now.

Really appreciate the help!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,749 Views)