From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Path Planning on simulation

Hi,

I need to create an occupancy grid for the MAZE environment given in Robotics Environment Simulator and simulate a robot using A* path planning. I have no idea how to create an occupancy grid for the maze or any environment. Help needed.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,936 Views)

Greetings NapDynamite

Here are some resources you might find useful. Please let us know if you have any other question. Have a nice day.

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-17771

https://decibel.ni.com/content/community/zone/labviewrobotics?view=documents

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/10483/en/

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/14133/en/

Luis J.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,875 Views)

In one of these links, someone is creating an occupancy grid using Kinect with sbRIO. I don't want to use Kinect or nay other hardware at the moment, for that matter. I need to simulate an A* path planning algorithm using one of the robots (starter kit) in simulation and an environment. I couldn't get any idea of how to create an occupancy grid of any environment, so after further processing I could simulate path planning in robotics environment simulator. 

I already went through a simple tutorial on A* path planning where a simple Boolean array was used to create a map. If only I could get an array of coordinates of environment ( say a maze ) then it will be much assistive.

Regards. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,860 Views)

Greetings NapDynamite

The idea of the examples was just to show you how other people have gone around ths problem. You can modify the example to change the system from Kinect data to simulated data, you can also take from the sbRIO code everything that is not related to the A*path planning and remove it, leaving only what you want. If you can use a simple Boolean array, you can base your further development from there to what you want, the array of coordinates of environment. 

Warm Regards, 

Luis J.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,840 Views)

This is what I am asking, how can I create an occupancy grid of the robotic environment? 
OR IN OTHER WORDS

How can I create an array of coordinates that a particular robotic environment is comprised of? Take a look an the attached picture (A Star). It has a Boolean array which actually represents a map of three paths to reach points. The A* algorithm computes shortest path by taking individual elements (indexes). Now, take a look at the second picture (environment). This is a robotic environment simulator with MAZE environment selected. On its properties it shows origin longitude, latitude and other features. 
How could I possibly know what are the coordinates of each point of this square, the midpoint OR a set of coordinates occupying the whole maze? 
One idea I came up with is to run my robot over this maze with a GPS installed and get coordinates of atleast 19 points (Take a look at picture "coordinates" if in case you are not getting my point), then save each coordinate in an array and then use that array for future reference. These points will then be translated to grids and so on.

I couldn't find any tab or property where I could just simply click on any point and it gives my the coordinate of that point. I hope I explained my point. 

Regards.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,831 Views)

Uploaded the wrong "environment" picture. Please refer to the atached one on this message. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,826 Views)

Hello NapDynamite
I am facing the same problem
If you got the solution can you please share the vi or program files?

thank you

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,566 Views)