From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Passing queues between VIs using refnums

I'm trying to implement communication between a master VI and a set of sub-VIs using queues (one unique queue for communication with each sub-VI). The number of sub-VIs and thus the number of queues needs to be determined at run-time, and so it seems as if it will be easier to pass queue refnums to each sub-VI rather than using named queues (which would necessitate the dynamic creation of unique queue names, whereas with refnums I can just create an array of new queues). However, I need a front-panel object on the sub-VI into which to pass the queue refnum. I can't find the appropriate indicator anywhere on the control palette. The only way I can find of creating a queue refnum control is to right-click on the queue refnum
input of a queue VI and choose create -> control. However, this always creates a refnum to a queue of strings, whereas I need queues of other things (statically typed, but not strings). There should be some easy, obvious way of doing this that I just can't find. Any ideas?
Jason Rolfe
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(7,760 Views)

Rolfe,

Try this: create a constant of the datatype of your queue and wire it to the 'element data type' input of the 'obtain queue' function. Now, right-click on the 'queue out' output of this function and select create constant (or control). You should get the refnum with the correct datatype.

Hope this helps,

Khalid

Message 2 of 4
(7,760 Views)

11 years later...

Khalid and Rolfe,

I am facing the exact issue, but I decisded to have my producer loop queue refnums bundeled, and I am debundling the cluster of refnums at te consumer loops respectively.

Using the Bundle/Unbundle by name would be much easier than what I am doing, but all the refnums have the name 'queue out', although I have given each queue a unique name.

Is there any way I can refer to the refnums using the queue given name ?

Thanks in advance 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,737 Views)

Take another look at the "obtain queue" function.

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361J-01/glang/create_queue/

If you wire the queue name in to obtain queue in the sub vi, it will obtain the correct queue.

Edit:  After rereading your question...  just rename the queues in your cluster.  It will allow you to bundle/unbundle by name.  You could also make that cluster type defined so that if you add more queues later, it will automatically get added through your program.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,731 Views)