LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parallel VI's appear to not be running, but are?

The past day I've been thinking my VI's were crashing because when I would open them up from my RT Main VI, they wouldn't appear to be running. Pause button, play button aren't in a running state.

However, I just noticed my data logging files are being created. And when I refresh the file explorer, I see the text file grow in size. So I guess it is running.

Has anyone ever seen this before? I know someone is going to yell at me for not posting code 😆 but I don't think I can.

Using labview 2020, fpga 2020, and real time 2020

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(787 Views)

Consider yourself yelled at.

You mentioned parallel vis.  That makes me suspect that you are running Clone Instances and opening the re-entrant original which is, of course, IDLE. Or the VI is inlined and really doesn't exist as a subvi when running and the original is again opened in an idle state when you click on it. 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(766 Views)

Are they clones?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(764 Views)

When you guys say clones, what do you mean? Did I copy and paste them from another project?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(754 Views)

It's weird because they weren't doing this a couple days ago. It just started all of a sudden. I THINK it happened after I added a bunch of shared variables.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(748 Views)

@David99999 wrote:

When you guys say clones, what do you mean? Did I copy and paste them from another project?

A Clone vi is simply a vi that is configured to be re-entrant with preallocated memory for each call.  This allows a group of the same code(the instances in the Clone pool) to operate in unique dataspaces that they each keep to themselves.

You can look at the VI Properties under execution to see if the vi is statically set to preallocate clones and if it is inlined (it must preallocate to be inlined)  if the VI is being dynamically called by an Asynchronous Call By Reference node we need to inspect the "Flags" options on the Open VI Reference node to tell if the VI is called as a Clone.

When a Clone is running the original vi is usually idle. That would explain why you see an apparently non running vi when a file is being written indicating that it's really running. 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(743 Views)

Are you sure you are looking at the same VI as are deployed and running on the RT system?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(733 Views)