LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXie 7976 Clock generation

Hello,

I am trying to use my flexRio to generate essentially an 80MHz clock. I created multiple versions to test and try to find the best clock.

I tried creating a clip as well as just a vi. For some reason, both generate an 80 MHz clock +/- .4MHz, but from looking at the datasheet, it should be able to generate a much better 80MHz signal.

My vhdl code is essentially this where count_M80 is a counter from 0 to M80, M80 is 0 to 1 (since my clock is 160MHz and with 50% duty cycle, 160/80*.5 = 1), and register_m80 is just a std logic and connected to my output.

begin
		if rising_edge(clock) then
			if count_M80 = M80-1 then  
				register_M80 <= not register_M80;
				count_M80 <= 0;
			else
				count_M80 <= count_M80+1;
			end if;
		end if;
	end process tutorial;

I tried the below to generate an 80MHz clock too by having the below in a 160MHz timed loop.

bchang32_0-1609168323885.png

Shouldn't my clock output be a lot more stable? I have the clock connected to PXIe_DstarC and have a ni-sync vi to measure it.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(1,240 Views)

It looks like your are using a NAND with a True to toggle the boolean.

Wouldn't it make more sense to just use a NOT?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(1,207 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

Wouldn't it make more sense to just use a NOT?

It makes no difference. I have one version where I'm using a NOT gate and its just as volatile/unstable. I just didn't want to post essentially the same picture but with a different gate. My apologies.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(1,188 Views)

Will this clock be interfaced with an I/O pin?

Asking because I rarely see such an implementation in LabVIEW FPGA since we typically derive clocks from the base clock(s).

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
ALE Consultants

Introduction to LabVIEW FPGA for RF, Radar, and Electronic Warfare Applications
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(1,174 Views)

Update, Ive even tried all these to get essentially the same result

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Example-Code/Export-a-Clock-Signal-on-FPGA-Device/ta-p/3530075?profile.lang...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(1,169 Views)

@Terry_ALE wrote:

Will this clock be interfaced with an I/O pin?

Ideally this would be sent to the DStarC line and then outputted through a timing card.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(1,167 Views)

That's an older (2010) document; I'd look for something more recent.

It is for DAQ cards but this may help: https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/documentation/supplemental/10/synchronization-explained.html

ALE Consultants

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(1,163 Views)

@Terry_ALE wrote:

That's an older (2010) document; I'd look for something more recent.

It is for DAQ cards but this may help: https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/documentation/supplemental/10/synchronization-explained.html

So I believe I am doing what they recommend (Using the DStarC lines since im going from FPGA to timing card which is considered the best). It says I should expect about <500 ps of skew, but when I'm measuring it, im off by like 400 KHz which doesnt seem to make sense, unless its potentially from the ni-sync measure frequency accuracy? I've used the measure frequency vi prior and it was pretty accurate prior. I don't imagine the DStarC line to be that noisy or cause that much jitter?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(1,159 Views)

Not sure what else to recommend.  May be good to reach out directly to NI support.

ALE Consultants

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(1,154 Views)