cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXIe-8370 in PXIe-1075 Chassis cannot seen on MAX

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All,

I have 8370 controller and 1075 chassis. I installed all the required software and drivers but I could not see my controller and devices on MAX. In Winwods Device Manager, there is a device as "National Instrument SMBus Controller". In system tab, there are lots of PCI-PCI standart bridges and 2 of them are not installed correctly(yellow pointer).

I have formatted the computer, changed the computer but the problem is same. What are your solution suggestions?

Message 1 of 16
(4,736 Views)

Hey hwfyn,

The first thing I would check is to make sure that the NI Device Loader Service is running in MAX.  If you can see the device installed in Device Manager but it is not showing up in MAX this is usually the reason.  For instructions on checking this see the following article:http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/0819391CA91B3EB38625731D00024649  Please post back with the results of this step.

Kevin Fort
Principal Software Engineer
NI
Message 2 of 16
(4,721 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author hwfyn

hwfyn,

You may also want to look into the MXI-Express Bios Compatibility Software.  It's designed to work around a lot of BIOS misconfigurations (which it sounds like you have because of the 2 bridges with problems).  Installing the software may be enough, but it's likely you'll need to flip a switch on the PCIe card.  The instructions are on the download page.

The current version is 1.3.

http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/2071/lang/en

- Robert

Message 3 of 16
(4,714 Views)

Thank you for your interest and help.

I cannot see NI devices on Windows Device Manager so the problem is probably about BIOS compatibility. However, when I look at supported devices I cannot see NI PXIe 8370 on the list. Does the BIOS Compatibility Software work with NI PXIe 8370? 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(4,710 Views)

The BIOS compatibility software only needs to support the PCIe card.  All x4 PCIe cards have been supported for several years, but some older versions didn't have the necessary hardware support.

- Robert

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(4,707 Views)

so does this mean that the bios compatibility software does not support my device? 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(4,704 Views)

It probably supports it.  Which PCIe card do you have?  There should be a number (like 199994B-01L) on it.  That's what you need to compare to the list.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(4,685 Views)

Thank you Robert.

I am new with National Instruments products so I confused PXIe 8370 controller and PCI 8371 MXIExpress Card. Today, I installed BIOS Compabilitiy Software and applied the instructions given by software and my devices are shown up on Device Manager and MAX. However, although computer and devices(PXIe 2193 Switch and PXIe 5122 Digitizer) can communicate correctly, my chassis(PXIe 10750)  and my controller(PXIe 8370) was not shown up on MAX and Device Manager.  Is this a aproblem?

In my system, PXIe8370 controller installed on PXIe 1075 chassis and controller is connected to computer by MXI cable and MXIExpress card PCI 8371.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(4,677 Views)

hwfyn,

The controller and chassis will only show up in device manager as PCI bridges and an SMBus controller, so they're not very distinct.  As long as device manager doesn't identify devices as having problems then you should be fine.  Especially since your devices show up.  The chassis should show up in MAX, but I don't have an example to look at.

Can someone else help with the MAX view?

- Robert

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(4,667 Views)

i got new equipment of ni pxi 1062q

i work on it few days

after its interface slot ni-pxi 8370 is not working

its link is not establishing with the computer

i check this slot on another 1062q equipment,still 8370 not working.

how i resolve this problem

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(4,653 Views)