From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXIe-4844 Not giving measured values in NI-OSI Explorer

I am trying to calibrate my PXIe-4844 in NI-OSI Explorer in order to use it in LabView. I know my hardware is showing up, if I view the spectral graph I can see data. However, there is no measured value, and my status bar says missing. Anyone have this issue?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,921 Views)

Hi niknesladek,

Could you post an image of your Spectral Graph view in the NI-OSI Explorer? Assuming there are some well defined peaks in this view, we should just need to lower the Calculated Threshold in order to more easily detect the peaks. The following sections from the NI-OSI Explorer Help discusses the settings of the Spectral Graph view and configuring the peak detection.

Best,

Jake Bartholomew
NI R&D - PSE

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,875 Views)

Hi Jake,

I've attached a screenshot of the configuration window as well as the spectral graph window. I tried changing my threshold from 0dB to -76dB and it still did not detect peaks. I also still have the missing notification in my status bar. I appologize if I'm missing something right in front of me.

Nik

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,856 Views)

Nik,

Would you be able to supply the details of the senor(s) you have connected to the PXIe-4844? Such as nominal λ and the minimum/maximum λ; the Spectral Graph currently just looks like noise as though there is not a sensor connected. You mentioned calibrating the PXIe-4844, could you be more specific on what you are trying to do?

Best,

Jake Bartholomew
NI R&D - PSE

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,834 Views)

Was this issue ever resolved? I myself am experiencing the same problem.

Thanks,

Justin

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,683 Views)

Hi Justin,

I am unsure if Nik was able to resolve his problem, but I find that no follow-up from the original poster on any type of forum usually means they resolved their issue. Unfortunately for us we are now not sure what the actual issue or solution to that issue.

Could you provide additional details on the issue(s) you are having? Perhaps screenshots of your configuration and spectral graph views or specifications of your sensors?

Best,

Jake Bartholomew
NI R&D - PSE

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,666 Views)

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I believe Nikn and I may have the same problem, although I dont believe it to be exactly the problem which he stated.

I've gotten as far in the instructions as "the NI-OSI Explorer automatically detects sensors connected to the NI-OSI hardware and adds them as unconfigured sensors", but this is not the case for me. I usually see no change in the Configuration window when I attach a sensor to any of the ports. An unconfigured sensor will sometimes appear breifly, and sometimes flicker randomly, but not long enough for me to click on/configure it, let alone collect any data. I've even witnessed a single peak on the spectral graph (again, occasionally) but there was no sensor showing in the configuration window. This leads me to believe that the sensors themselves are in working order.

The screenshot of my configuration window is exactly as it would be for a system with no sensors connected to it, and my spectral graph is the same as Nik's; just noise without any meaningful peaks. As for the sensors, they can be found here: http://www.fbgs.com/productsadv/be-en/5/detail/item/12/page/1/       The sensors have nominal wavelengths between 1530 and 1560 nm. They are all brand new, as is all the NI hardware.

I've attached some pictures that may be useful. I appreciate any help you can give me. I will happily provide any further information.

Thanks again,

Justin

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,637 Views)

Hi Justin,

Reviewing the information you have provided nothing immediately sticks out as being an issue. You mentioned receiving the same behavior on multiple ports, have you tried swapping out the cabling, adapter, or sensor? I know this seems like a rather basic troubleshooting step but the results you are seeing seem to point to a connectivity issue. I just want to make sure this is not potentially a bad accessory that could easily be swapped out. Would you be able to supply the version of NI-OSI you are using? If you could provide a MAX Technical Report that would help me determine the NI software versions you have on the system; it may help to point to any potential software 'incompatibilities'.

Best,

Jake Bartholomew
NI R&D - PSE

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,585 Views)

I had been switching out connectors and pigtails all along, because, as you said, it's a basic troubleshooting step. However, I decided to put a sensor on all 4 ports at once, and now the spectral graph window is perfect. Unfortunately, the Configuration window is still not showing any sensors that can be configured.

I am using NI-OSI 2.1, and I've attached a technical support report from the NI-MAX.  I included a zipped folder of some screen captures of the Configuration Window and the functioning spectral graphs. I managed to take the capture of the Configuration Window right as one of the sensors was flickering. Again, all these screen captures were taken with a sensor connected to all 4 ports.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,554 Views)

Justin,

The sensors will only show up in the Configuration view if the peaks are detected as based on the settings in the Spectral Graph view. My recommendations to adjust the settings and find the peaks are similar to the ones I provided on my first post on this thread; these help files should provide more detail (1 & 2).

Reviewing the additional screenshots you provided, thanks for those, I suggest increasing the "Minimum Threshold" value slightly above the 'noise floor' of your channel. After that I would recommend decreasing the "Calculated Threshold" until the peak becomes detected. For example, on Ch0 I would set the "Minimum Threshold" to about -44 dBm and if the peak is still not detected I would incremently decrease the "Calculated Threshold". You can change the "Calculated Threshold" by clicking and dragging the visible line on the graph.

Best,

Jake Bartholomew
NI R&D - PSE

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(3,539 Views)