From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PID ---- how to decide P, I and D parameters?

hi guys,

I am working on a load cell system. Which is working fine without PID but I am not sure how do I do it with PID? I am not sure how do I set the PID parameters and the upper and lower limits? Can anyone guide?

Thanks

JInal...
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,313 Views)
Jinio,

do you know anything on your plant, like transfer function (tf), magnitude and/or phase diagram, etc.?
If so, try to figure out with a tool (LabVIEW Control Design) or by hand something on the phase and gain margin.

Depending on this result and depending on what type of controller you are looking for you have to choose the correct gains/time constants.
The upper/lower limit is good for limiting the set value because depending on your controller it might happen that the set value increases to a multiple of the allowed stuff.

I highly recommend, to simulate the plant in combination with the controller before testing it on the real object.
If this isn't possible for you, start by using P=1, I and D = 0. Increase P as long as the critical point of the plant is reached. After that you can calculate the "safe" P, I and D stuff.
For more information on that method, look for the method called "Ziegler - Nichols".

BR,
ThSa
Message 2 of 2
(2,301 Views)