From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDA app crashes when the IPAQ automatically powers down.

The program monitors the Bluetooth serial port fine but when the iPAQ hp2210 does an automatic power down and I power it back up (by pressing the ON/OFF button) the program is still on the screen and a dialog box comes up stating:

"ERROR... App failed. Error code 430368002. Unable to allocate memory."

What is funny is that I am using very little memory and the program is pretty small.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,817 Views)
Hello,

I suspect that this may have to do with how the IPAQ handles applications (perhaps specifically applications which are accessing hardware, which will likely be in a low power state when the IPAQ is) when it its low power state. Do you see this behavior with other applications? Perhaps try an application that does not access any hardware, and also one that accesses some other hardware. This way we may be able to decouple the issue from your Bluetooth interface, and correlate it with applications in general which access hardware during a low power transition.

Looking forward to your results and repost!

Best Regards,

JLS
Best,
JLS
Sixclear
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,799 Views)
I tried do a simple loop with 100ms delay and did not have a problem going into suspend mode.

I have modified the original program to tack down the actual function that is causing the error. I found by commenting out the "Serial Port Read.vi" the error will not happen. This is weird because the only time the vi is called is when the there are bytes at the serial port which should be 0. I have added an error detection and an indicator to show bytes at port and both come back 0. This problem is very repeatable and also confusing.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,793 Views)
Hello,

I just wanted to let you know that I am going to suggest this be explored further internally, in order to determine if any corrective action on the matter is necessary. Unfortunately, for the time being there does not seem to be a workaround.

Thank you for raising this issue!

Best Regards,

JLS
Best,
JLS
Sixclear
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,778 Views)
I believe that labview is ending the VISA session ie the refnum is no longer valid.
I have a simmilar problem with my Bluetooth application. If the PDA power button is pressed or the unit goes to sleep, the communication port is closed automatically.
A pc example would be:
You open a port with one VI store the refnumber in a global. WIth anonther vi use this refnumber to communicate throught the open port.
That refnumber only stays valid if you continue the labview session by running the two vis through a main vi.
If you try to open the com port with on vi then run another vi the global refnumber is no longer valid. Labview basically closes the port for you.
I need some way to sense the Power down condition to re-establish communications.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,764 Views)
Actually, VISA is not currently supported on PDAs. The serial VIs in LabVIEW are just making direct calls to the OS serial functions. So if it is crashing it is probably a problem with how the OS handles going to sleep when accessing the serial port.

-Josh
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,736 Views)