From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCMCIA CAN and MAX Bus Monitor

I am running MAX Bus Monitor on a PCMCIA Series 1 CAN Controller (184272F-01) 1 Port with a Series 1 CAN NI Cable (184354B-01).  I have been told by the vendor of the CARD I am attempting to communicate to place termination resistors (120ohms) at each end of the cable.

I am using a 29bit arbitration ID (0x18EFE1E3) and trying to send an 8byte message (0000 0000 0000 001B) via MAX under the Test Panel Function.  Does MAX put a standard can wrapper on this message to include things such as CRC  checksum..etc? 

When I send this out in MAX or LabVIEW and run the bus monitor I see nothing happen, if I run NI Spy I see some activity but no response from my device connected to the BUS?  If I measure the voltage across CAN_H to CAN_L it stays STATIC throughout.  2.5V on CAN_H and 2.5V on CAN_L is this normal? 

Does anyone have any knowlege if the source address for the PCMCIA card matters? If so how do I find that 8 bit address to include in the 29bit arbitration ID?

Sorry for the long message, thank you in advance for any help!!!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,236 Views)

Hi,

Some of your questions were answered in your duplicate post in the CAN & DeviceNet forum.  Since you're having problems seeing CAN data in the Bus Monitor, the following KnowledgeBase may address your issue: BUS Monitor File Contains No CAN Data When Using Extended Arbitration IDs.  Please post new CAN questions in the CAN & DeviceNet forum.  Thanks!

Regards,

Rima

Rima H.
Web Product Manager
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,210 Views)