From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimization algorithm for measured signals

Hi,

I'm wondering whether there are any Labview implementations of an efficient optimization algorithm for "real-world" signals (i.e. a control problem rather than a pure math problem). The goal is to automatically adjust a set of physical parameters (e.g. voltages, motor positions or the like), which maximize a measured "objective" signal. An intuitive example would be the alignment of a laser beam through a pinhole using a motorized mirror and the feedback is provided by a photodiode or powermeter behind the pinhole.

I thought about using one of the optimization VIs, but I think they would have an inherent problem with an objective function derived from a "real-world" measurement because of the noise and/or drift. Maybe it's possible to control the step size and tolerance to get a reasonable result but I couldn't figure out a robust procedure so far.

I'd rather treat it as a control problem with an approach similar to a PID controller but instead of locking the "process variable" to a setpoint on a monotonous curve, it should rather lock it to an extremum (which can drift over time). I'm not very familiar with control algorithms and I don't even know whether it's possible at all. Does anyone know a suitable solution?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,560 Views)

There is a PID toolkit that should come with LabVIEW full or professional.

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019RTlSAM&l=en-US

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,550 Views)

I know, but a PID controller can't lock to an extremum...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,545 Views)

There is also a modulation toolkit that might help you make a phase locked loop implementation.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,466 Views)

That's the same as a limited PID controller (using only P or PI) and the signal is not periodic, so I don't see how I can extract a phase from that to lock onto...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,424 Views)