LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening and controling SubVI front panel

Hi ,
I'm a new user of LabView.
My problem is that my application (reading UDP data)calls a SubVi that is supposed to show some of the the data when opened.
The program shows the front panel of the subVI but I can't switch to it or use the controls.
My question :
How can I switch to the SubVI and control it ?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,645 Views)
Try to do the next:

1) Open SubVI
2) Select File\VI Properties\Window Appearence\Custom->Customize
3) Select in Properties window: Window is Modal
Message 2 of 5
(2,645 Views)
What concerns me here is that you can't switch to the subVI front panel. It is as if the parent VI is modal (always on top).

I think you should use Nadav's instructions to check to see if the parent's properties are NOT set to modal.

Another point to note is that if you do set the subVI to modal and you dont close the window during operation, then you wont be able to switch to the parent's front panel. Oh it gets so complicated!

Kim
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,645 Views)
Hi,
without seeing the vi's in question, my best guess is that your sub.vi is being called, and is set to open when called, but not to close again afterwards.So although you can see the panel, you can't interact with it because it's not running.
I've included an example in LV 6.1 where it uses VI Server to open up a panel to view some data whilst allowing the main.vi to continue.
I've also included what I beleive is happening in your code.
The first .llb is not going to work as you want it.
The second .llb uses VI server to get the job done.

Hope this helps

Sash.
// it takes almost no time to rate an answer Smiley Wink
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,645 Views)
10x,

This was the solution. I chose the Window Appearence to be a Dialog Box and the default there is "Window is Modal"

Fat Man
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,645 Views)