From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open the help application in the specified monitor

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I am working in a project which requires multiple monitors, each monitor displaying a different VI. Each of these VIs has a 'Help' button which will open up the compiled help file from the mentioned location in the hard drive. Now I would like to open this help in the specified monitor. Suppose if the user clicks 'Help' in the second monitor, I would wish this window to open in the second monitor. Any suggestion on how to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance,

Priyadarsini

Message 1 of 11
(3,817 Views)

Hi priyadarsini,

Can you explain your problem a little more. As far as i can see, its a property of windows. You can open multiple executables of same vi on different monitors, but if your help window opens on the first monitor and you want to manage it, software like Ultramon can help.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,798 Views)

hi,

r u calling a vi as help file? if yes then you can use FP monitor property node to set monitor.

Best of luck

Gaurav k
CLD Certified !!!!!
Do not forget to Mark solution and to give Kudo if problem is solved.
Message 3 of 11
(3,790 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Priyadarsini

Thank you Shivam Awasthi and Gaurav. By help I mean the compiled help files with extensions *.hlp or *.chm. I use 'Online Help Control' VI under Dialog & User Interface palette to open the help file. But this will always open in the default/primary monitor. I would like to make this open in the specified monitor  programmatically. I should be able to open this in whichever monitor the user tries to access from.

Now I have got the solution from the last message in this thread. I have used the 'Restore Window' and 'Move Window' VIs in the attachment to move the help application window to another monitor by specifying the bounds input.

Thanks again.

Priyadarsini

Message 4 of 11
(3,784 Views)

Hi Priyadarsini,

Did your problem really got solved? Smiley Surprised

Why I m asking this is because all these days I thought that those LVWUtil32 VIs are meant only for the control of other windows (UIs) of our application. It is news to me that we can use them for controlling windows (like UIs or .chm Help files & alike...) across multiple monitors.

Message Edited by parthabe on 08-18-2009 06:09 AM
- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,745 Views)

Hi Partha, 

Initially I was also wondering if it is possible to control other application windows from LabVIEW. But this forum is great and I have found out some good stuff using which I was able to develop my own code. All the applications work similar. We just have to mention the window name.

Attached is the code.

Priyadarsini

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,737 Views)

Priyadarsini wrote:

Attached is the code.

You forgot the attachement?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,732 Views)

Oops. Sorry. Here is the attachment.

Message 8 of 11
(3,729 Views)
Can you post a snapshot of your code?
- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,723 Views)

Move Help Window

Here is the snapshot of the code which is quite simple.

Message 10 of 11
(3,697 Views)