From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open error list causes a dramatic slow down when working on large projects

As long as the error list is open, large LV projects slow down dramatically.

I found a similar post from 2007 where the same issue was described using LV8.2.

I opend a new topic since in my case this issue happens with an other version (see system details).

My System (should be strong enough):

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 @ 3.40 GHz

RAM: 16 GB

LabVIEW: Version 15.0f2 (32-bit)

Behavior:

When I want to open a second project or even create new accessors for class variables I have to wait an overstated time that something happens on my screen.

While I have to wait, it is not possbile to close the error list. LabVIEW is simply not reacting when it is in this state.

This makes writing code very tedious since you have to wait that the started action finishes.

Mostly (at least for me) it is more time efficient to kill the LV process and reopen the project afterwards (but if there are unsaved changes sometimes this is a tough decision).

It seems that the error list is updated with every automated background action (e.g. create accessor).

Current work-around:

Close the error list for this time (but you will be sorry if you forget it).

One might say: where is the problem. Just close the list because most of the time there should be no error.

This is true but sometimes one just forgets to close the list after fixing an error and in the follwing step wonders why everything is so slow.

Is someone else also faced with this kind of behavior?

Cheers

Message 1 of 6
(3,309 Views)

Dear EiSa,

I am experiencing a simillar issue using a similar config (64-bit Win, 8GB RAM, i5, LV 15 SP1)

Especially with large projects this bug can be a problem because it slows down in-situ pre-compiles and make working very teadious.

I was not able to find any sollution to this problem either but hope that some LV-wizzes have tips how to overcome this time-consuming nerv-streaking problem...

"Anything can be done if you only think about it hard enough..."
"... truth is a lie in disguise!"
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,299 Views)
Hi,

the same problem occures with the navigation window!

Solution: open those windows only when you (really) need them...
Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,283 Views)

Dear GerdW,

I'm sorry to tell you that your proposal is merely a work-arround, but does not solve the problem itself.

I'ts just like treating a broken leg with pain-killers: If I take enough, I can run for a while without noticing the broken leg, but as soon as the pain comes back I realize that the leg is still broken...

Are there any NI-surgeons that can heal the problem instead of medicate it?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,252 Views)

Hi there,

I would try to repair LabVIEW and/or reformat the computer. Also, I guess this issue do not happened on another computer? Should be specific to some computer models. That is the only things you can do I guess. 

Hope this helps you. 

Certified LabVIEW Architect (CLA)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,236 Views)

Dear =Jean,

I am experiencing the same issue as EiSa.

The result is IDENTICAL even though I've just reinstalled LV 15 from scratch last month.

I've had this problem in LV 13,

I've had this problem in LV 14

and also with LV 14 installed on my Notebook (i7, 4GB RAM, SSD, Win 8.1 64 bit).

so sorry =Jean, your suggestion does not really help...

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,221 Views)