From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open and read Header of *.DAT and *.TDM Dataformat with LabVIEW

Hi,

do somebody know, how to open the dataformat *.DAT and the dataformat *.TDM with LabVIEW? There is also a need to read the header, for example the samplerate. I hope somebody can help me...

thanks

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,214 Views)

ok ...     *.TDM nearly works. I am using Data Storage. I don't like it, becouse I get my samplerate out of the waveform datatype and not out of the header... =(

chris

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,210 Views)

chris,

The .dat format is a generic data format, not defined except by the program which created the file.  If you know the format, you can almost certainly read the file and interpret it within LV.  Whether this is easy or nearly impossible depends on the format.

.tdm is the NI format for saving both the actual measurement data and metadata.  NI offers various ways of reading and interpreting this data.  You can get the sample rate from the waveform by using Waveform Attributes.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,205 Views)

Hi Lynn,

thanks for your fast answer!

Maybe I am giving some more details for my *.DAT problem now, in the hope, that you say it will be easy=)

My FileFormat is Real32;

I am saving the data BlockWise of 32768 Samples.

The ChannelType is Explicit for Data.

The ChannelType is Implicit for the TimeChannel.

As an attachment I put an Picture out of a paper by DIAdem. Maybe you can give me a hand, how to implement this picture into an algorithm. I am trying right now with ReadFromBinaryFile. Is this the right way?

thanks ;D

chris

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,202 Views)

You can use the Storage VIs to read *.DAT and *.TDM files with LabVIEW (or any other kind of file a DataPlugin exists: ni.com/dataplugins)

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,163 Views)