LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Spreadsheet Message

After creating a spreadsheet file using the Write to Spreadsheet File.vi I get the attached message when opening the resulting file.  In other words I get this message when opening the file using Excel.  I’ve set the program to save the files with the XLS extension.  The file opens OK if I click Yes.

I cannot open the resulting spreadsheet if I use the XLSX extension.

I’m using LV 2010 SP1, Win-XP and Excel v. 2007.

How do I avoid getting the above message and why does it not work when using the XLSX extension?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,089 Views)

You should be aware that you are actually creating a text file and not an actual xls document. It happens that Excel is happy to read a comma or tab separated spreadshheet file but it is obvious that the format is different.

I've never tried naming a text file with the xlsx extension but since the format is not even close to the xml format, I'm not a bit surprise it will not open correctly. That would be a question for Microsoft. Nothing at all to do with LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,083 Views)

Take a look in this thread and see if it can be of any help. If you want to use .xlsx / .xls / .csv there is no problem using the Free Excel Toolkit described in that thread. There are also some examples there and how to use the toolkit. It's a very useful tool if you don't have to MS Office report generation toolkit.  

Regards,
Even

Automated Test Developer
Topro AS
Norway
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,070 Views)

Hi Dennis,

I would have thought that saving a file using the write to spreadsheet function would be writing a spreadsheet file. Thank you for clarifying that it's a text file.  I've explained to the end user to save it as a spreadshee file (XLSX) after opening and then there's no pop-up message later when they open it again.

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,047 Views)