From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Block Diagram in Subpanel

In LV 8.6, when a VI is embedded into a subpanel on another VI, when you right-click on the panel of the embedded VI and select "Open Block Diagram", nothing happens. In LV 8.51 and LV 8.21, using the same code, the procedure opens the block diagram of the embedded VI, as it should. I think it's a bug, but I don't know where else I can report it.

Sergey Liberman

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 27
(5,558 Views)

Hello,

This is a good place to report this. Unfortunately I don't understand exactly what you are saying. Are you talking about subvi of a subvi or could you provide a simple example that replicates this problem and post it here? Thanks.

Regards,

National Instruments
RIO Embedded Hardware PSE

CompactRIO Developers Guide
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 27
(5,525 Views)

Andrew, Attached are two LLB's - same code, one in v.8.5, the other in v.8.6. Run mainVI.vi (in matching version of LV), right-click in the subpanel and select "Open Block Diagram". In LV85, the diagram opens, in LV86 it does not.

Regards,

Sergey

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 27
(5,511 Views)

Hello,

The issue is known about and the car is being fixed in the next installment of labVIEW. Thanks

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 27
(5,490 Views)
Meanwhile, is there a workaround?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 27
(5,428 Views)

I think the true error here is trying to insert the vi into the subpanel from the vi that you trying to insert. If you run the subpanel vi found here: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/C4329FFDA9F5072C86256E0D006EB76E?OpenDocument 

You can see that you are able to open the block diagram of the vi in 8.6. Howeve in 8.6, the bug is that you can insert a vi from the vi that you want to insert, which was the example provided. So the work around is to not insert a vi from the vi to be inserted. Too much ciruclar logic, but if you want to open the block diagram of a subpanel, don't call it from the subvi, call it from the vi with the subpanel.

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 27
(5,398 Views)

I must say thought that I've been using the method shown in my example for many years - it's a standard part of my favorite architecture. It has worked fine in as early versions of LV as 7.1. I hope this feature gets fixed in the next release rather than being removed altogether.

SL

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 27
(5,383 Views)
I have checked the CAR and I think the developers agree with you, becaus it is fixed. However, its not being fixed for the next version of LV, but it got changed for the version of LV after that.
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 27
(5,359 Views)

Andrew_E. wrote:
I have checked the CAR and I think the developers agree with you, becaus it is fixed. However, its not being fixed for the next version of LV, but it got changed for the version of LV after that.

Can we have a better timeframe for this bug fix? Do you mean the fix won't be out for the LV release this summer/August??
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 27
(5,306 Views)
It's really bad that it won't be fixed in the next release - as I said, I use this feature all the time. The implication for me is that for large projects I'll have to stay with pre-8.6 versions for two more years...
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 27
(5,300 Views)