From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On cRIO-9033, property node: Owning VI Reference is Invalid

I am starring for the first time to work with a UI on cRIO-9033. The code I am trying to adapt to work on the RT is working on Windows just fine. But when I put it on the RT it throws errors. I looked through the code and I kept getting error 1026 Reference is No Longer Valid. I made a very simple code to try and run (as linked below), and it throws the same error.

Owning VI Error.png

When I probe the error coming out of the VI Property Node: Panel, it gives me an Invalid Reference Error. Nothing closed the reference and the VI is obviously still running and in memory since this is the VI. I'm not sure what is wrong. Could it be that I am running it from development environment? Or is this a quirk with programming in Linux?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,115 Views)

So I was able to replicate the issue with and without the new embedded UI, it looks like the "OwningVI" property is not returning a valid refnum. One workaround is to use the "This VI" reference directly instead of reading the  "OwningVI" property. I've attached a screenshot below and I'll be filing a a CAR on this behavior so R&D can take a look at fixing it.

E_UI.png

Hope this helps!

Rob B
FlexRIO Product Manager
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,080 Views)

You are correct. That is a workaround. Do you know if this bug will be fixed in the future?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,078 Views)

I just submitted CAR # 492586 but unfortunately I don't have an estimate of when it will be patched. You can also open a VI server reference to the correct VI if you need to read that property in a subVI. 

Rob B
FlexRIO Product Manager
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,075 Views)

I found another bug. You just to follow my instructions if you don't mind

1. Open the attached code
  2. Run it. It should work fine
  3. Move anything on the front panel and save it
  4. Run it. You should get errors.

I'm not sure what is wrong but I can reproduce the problem over here. 

BEFORE IMAGE

Before Image.png

AFTER IMAGE

After Image.png

notice the I moved error out 2

Actually on my more complicated example the property node giving the panel references passes invalid references all the time. Not just when I resave it.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,062 Views)

Interesting, I was able to reproduce that one as well and I'll go ahead and file another CAR on the incorrect behavior.

Rob B
FlexRIO Product Manager
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,019 Views)

I found another bug, but it isn't reference related so I posted it separately. You can find it here http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/cRIO-9033-not-waiting-for-2-Button-Dialog-to-finish-executing/m-p/29...

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,007 Views)