LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Office 365 Excel compatibility

I am using the Report Generator to open an Excel file, enter data to the file, then save it as a new file. On my computer at work I'm using Excel version 16.0.12430.20198 (64 bit) and it works just fine. On my computer at home I'm using Excel version 16.0.12624.20480 (64 bit) and it won't open the Excel file. Error -41106. NI_Excel.lvclass:new report subVI.vi -> NI_report.lvclass:Create Report.vi. It won't open the file. Is the Report Generator no longer compatible with the latest Office 365? Is there some way I can work around it?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(3,837 Views)

There is a well-documented (in the Forums!) "feature-creep" with Microsoft Excel.  At one point (somewhere after Office 2013), Microsoft added an additional Property to someplace in Excel that conflicts with LabVIEW.  The fix is generally easy, and involves getting LabVIEW to "relink to Excel" and update its own library code.  Once you save it, it is fixed.

I suspect if you search the Forums for "Fix Excel", you might find it.  This question occurs every 3-4 months, or so it seems ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(3,789 Views)

Thanks, Bob. I've been unable to find any of the well-documented examples or anything like "Fix Excel." Still looking for a way to fix this.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(3,721 Views)

Try this, which I think I found by searching for "Report Generation Toolkit Error" ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(3,699 Views)

Thanks. I tried that. It's really an odd problem. At work I have Windows 10 and LabVIEW 9 and it works fine. At home I have Windows 10 and LabVIEW 9 and it doesn't work. I don't get a black-arrow kind of error. It just fails to open Excel in one location and not in the other. So I can't relink the failed library because there isn't any indication of a failed library. Puzzling.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(3,681 Views)

As far as I know, there is no LabVIEW 9.  Do you mean LabVIEW 2009 (which may well be not compatible with "modern" Excel) or LabVIEW 2019 (which can be made to work with "modern" Excel, meaning from Office 2013 onward, at least)?

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(3,675 Views)

Sorry. Dropped a digit. LabVIEW 19 ... both places. i.e., the latest. The latest update from Windows 10 and the latest version of LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(3,668 Views)

Hmm.  I'm wondering if it is something Simple and Obvious (that I missed).  Please try the following:

1. Click the Windows Start Button.
  2. Navigate down the list of Programs to the National Instruments folder.
  3. Open the Folder, find NI License Manager, and run it.
  4. In the top Menu Bar, click Local Licenses.
  5. Under the LabVIEW 2019 list, see if you have Report Generation Toolkit and its button is Green.

I'm wondering if you brought over working code, developed on your Work machine, and brought it to a machine that is missing the RGT, or that has an RGT that hasn't been Activated.  That might explain everything (though, I confess, I'd expect a different Error Message ...).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(3,645 Views)

Wouldn't have thought of that, but, yes, it says it is licensed. It also says the Report Generation Toolkit is installed.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(3,634 Views)

I have the same problem after the Office 365 update that I received on April 30th. I tried all the tips I found here but no success. So I did an "office 365 repair" and after that it works. Whether it was in combination with other tips here or not, I do not know.

Message 10 of 14
(3,597 Views)