From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd issue with installer: Engine is corrupt, register regsvr32.exe or msi.dll

So I have a working installer, designed in LabVIEW 2018, intended for Win10. It works on my Win10 PC, it works on another Win10 PC, but one specific Win10 PC is giving me the attached warning.

The Windows Installer engine is corrupt. To attempt to resolve this issue, please register the engine by running regsvr32.exe on msi.dll

A quick search later shows that it is a compatibility between revisions issue, but that shouldn't be the case with this PC.

Any thoughts? Does it matter if it is Home vs Pro?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,098 Views)

The installer works on a Win10 Pro 64 bit PC. The installer is failing on a Win10 Home 64 Bit Laptop.

I downloaded and ran a windows MSI FixIt tool, that did not identify any corruption issues. I'm at a loss.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,082 Views)

Although you have LabVIEW 2018 you did update some software that caused to update the NI Package Manager or the NI Meta Data Framework to version 20.7 or newer. 

See this KB https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA03q000000YOE0CAO&l=nl-NL

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,039 Views)

According to Control Panel,. my NI Package Manager is 18.5.

I am not seeing NI Meta Data Framework.

Plus, both PCS are Win 10. However it does seem like the one that fails is indeed a 32 bit.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,034 Views)

The PC is NOT 32 bit. I don't know (or remember) why I said that... Other than that's what it complains about.

It has 64 bit memory and installed directories and tools.

Would it work with Windows 11 maybe?

Edit:

I am re-compiling my project in LabVIEW 32 bit. That will probably solve everything.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,998 Views)

I tried using both a 32 bit compiled installer and a 64 bit compiled installer. No success.

Edit:

The installation works after updating windows to Win11. Some file was corrupted. I don't know which one, or how to fix it. But it was specific to the PC, not LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,994 Views)