LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd LV 2009 Snippet Behavior - Please confirm

While helping out in this thread I encountered an odd behavior with snippets. If you try to place the snippet onto a block diagram you will encounter the "searching" dialog box when it's looking for the typedefs. If you click on the "Ignore Item" each time the snippet will eventually load with a whole lot of broken stuff. OK. Let's say that instead of clicking on the "Ignore Item" you let the search continue until you get the file dialog asking you to locate the file in question, and you "Cancel" out of each one. Sometimes I was left with a completely blank block diagram, and I couldn't close the VI. I could close the block diagram window, but not the front panel. Also, LV seem to hit 100% CPU. If I did not close the block diagram and I tried to copy the snippet over again I'd get a black circle with a diagonal line through it indicating the operation was not allowed. Can someone check to see if they see the same thing happening?
Message 1 of 8
(2,588 Views)

Interesting.  Here is what I did recently.  I have some hacked code that lets me drop snippets into LV8.6 (with the BD in run mode).  I was testing it out, but instead of choosing some simple snippet, I accidently dropped some mess with subVIs etc.  Working as it should, I got the search dialogs, but I did the usual tap-dance to cancel them.  In the end, nothing, and then the black circle.  Of course since I was dealing with my own code and hacking Windows, I put the blame squarely on myself.  I remember a LV restart was required to set things straight.

This sounds very similar, and I suspect the same effect is in play.  You are well aware of the dance that is Windows messages and all of the hooks, callbacks, etc.  It appears that LV is not handling that properly, when you cancel, it just drops the ball and tries to move on.  Windows, apparently is desperately trying to finish a drop, and won't let you drop something else until the first one is complete. 

Now I have just hung my LV9 by canceling a search (from the file browser) during a snippet drop.  Thanks alot! Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 8
(2,572 Views)

I can not exaclt duplicate your test since my LV 2009 machine does not have acces to the net but I saved the snippet to a shared drive and then dragged the down-loaded version into a diagram.

After waiting and hittinf cancel, the diagram and Fp where as expected. I was able to right-click and do "disconnect from type def" on all of them and the VI was runnable.

So try downloading and then do you drag to BD to see if that is a work-around.

Sorry but that's the best i can do.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 3 of 8
(2,570 Views)

Darin wrote:
Now I have just hung my LV9 by canceling a search (from the file browser) during a snippet drop.  Thanks alot! :smileywink:

Well, I have finally fulfilled my purpose in life. Smiley Very Happy

Ben wrote: 

After waiting and hittinf cancel, the diagram and Fp where as expected. I was able to right-click and do "disconnect from type def" on all of them and the VI was runnable.

That's the thing - it will work as you described sometimes when you cancel through all those file dialogs, but I found that most of the time I see the behavior I had described.

Message 4 of 8
(2,560 Views)

Dragging from my server (repeated three times with no errors) does not show any issues on my machine.

Does the same problem occur if you save the snippe to a local drive and THEN drag it into a diagram?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 5 of 8
(2,546 Views)

Ben wrote:

Dragging from my server (repeated three times with no errors) does not show any issues on my machine.

Does the same problem occur if you save the snippe to a local drive and THEN drag it into a diagram?

It does not appear to, so far (I also tried it several times as you did). Very interesting...

Message Edited by smercurio_fc on 12-03-2009 11:23 AM
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,536 Views)

smercurio_fc wrote:

It does not appear to, so far (I also tried it several times as you did). Very interesting...

Message Edited by smercurio_fc on 12-03-2009 11:23 AM

Now couple that observation with your earlier note about the file names ($ signs) and the wierd name mangling of a VI opened from a browser (%20 instead space), so maybe a Windows issue?

Ben

Message 7 of 8
(2,526 Views)
It certainly could be a Windows issue, but I don't think it has to do with the characters used for the filenames, since on Windows those characters are OK. The issue in that thread was that he was porting to Linux, and those characters don't play well on that OS. I'll have to play around with this some more.
Message 8 of 8
(2,502 Views)