From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Object on front panel shows as empty dashed contour

After copying a file path control from another VI, it appears as an empty dashed contour on the front panel, as if the object were on a hidden layer.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong, please?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,091 Views)

Looks like the control is hidden.  Find the terminal on the block diagram, right-click menu - Show Control.

Andy

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,077 Views)

Another example where attaching the actual VI would be so much more helpful than attaching a "picture".  I don't know how you "copied" the control, but it might have been a "hidden" control.  Go to the Block Diagram, find the control, right-click it, and see if the option to "unhide" the control is present.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,071 Views)

Thank you for your suggestions.

I just noticed there was a pane splitter on the front panel. Removing it (screenshot attached) suddenly showed the "hidden" object.

Still seems like a bug, though, doesn't it?

(When I called support, before I found this fix, the gentleman said it was probably one of the many bugs in LV 2019.)

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,054 Views)

Did you copy the control or the terminal? Was it the only selected object?

Not really a bug and probably not new to 2019. More like an unhandled edge case. Could be fixed by throwing a lot of code at it, but not worth it.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,040 Views)

I don't see the splitter in your screenshot, but if it's just under something then this is probably expected behaviour.

To test a similar situation, try dropping a loop on your BD, then selecting a control outside of the loop and using the arrow keys to place it under the structure. I think that might be very similar to what you're seeing? (you can also shrink a structure with items inside it so that they fall outside the bounds if you disable auto-grow, then selecting that region (perhaps only from inside the structure?) will allow their selection in a similar fashion iirc)

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,024 Views)