From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OPC UA connection problem

I have a problem connecting to an OPC UA server. I used the simplest version of NIs Example here

https://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371618J-01/lvmve/establishing_connection_btwn_opcua_svr_cln...

but no matter what I do i get the error

-356653 The status of the OPC UA server is uncertain. 

I have tried setting the "trust all servers" to true, i have tried providing certificates... nothing works. Other software such as UA expert connects instantaneously without any issues. How hard can it be?

Message 1 of 6
(4,733 Views)

We have the same problem here connecting to a B&R plc.

We tried different settings for authorization in combination with provided certificates, but this does not work at all.

Connection with UA expert works fine.

@bfelber: have you solved the problem in the meantime?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,534 Views)

Yes, we solved it by using the hostname "br-automation" - or whatever hostname is configured in automation studio - instead of the ip address. Just add the plc's ip to your host file in the system32/drivers/etc folder. With this workaround you should be able to connect to your B&R plc. I hope this will work out for you as well.

Message 3 of 6
(4,519 Views)

Works perfectly, thank you very much!

For everybody else encountering this problem, see screenshot attached for solution.

opc_ua.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,511 Views)

Thank you very much guys! I had the same issue with B&R and now it has been solved 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,795 Views)

@diebestetest wrote:

Thank you very much guys! I had the same issue with B&R and now it has been solved 🙂

we solved it by using the hostname "br-automation" - or whatever hostname is configured in automation studio - instead of the ip address. Just add the plc's ip to your host file in the system32/drivers/etc folder. With this workaround you should be able to connect to your B&R plc.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,787 Views)