cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OMEGA RD9900 to LABVIEW

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I have been programming Labview for a while, but i have never implemeneted directly communication with labview and the hardwell. 

I have only modified/fixed or upgrade some VIs that others have worked with.

Can someone guide me into the right path?

I have an OMEGA RD9900 (http://www.omega.com/pptst/RD9900.html)

It has about 12 channels.

but my application only need 6 channels to read 6 TCs.

Can you guys guide me to which LABview PCIs would i need to purchase?

I also need to maybe make mesurements of resistance. 

Can i somehow gather direct output of the OMEGA RD9900 and copy data to LABVIEW in real time?

the OMEGA RD9900 saves data in CSV file and I want to generate the same data onto LABVIEW onto a CSV file as well.

I can create graphs and such with it after.

Thank you for your help!

Krispiekream

Best regards,
Krispiekream
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,098 Views)

@krispiekream wrote:

Can i somehow gather direct output of the OMEGA RD9900 and copy data to LABVIEW in real time?

the OMEGA RD9900 saves data in CSV file and I want to generate the same data onto LABVIEW onto a CSV file as well.

I can create graphs and such with it after.

What does the manual say?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,077 Views)
There is no such thing as LabVIEW PCIs. Please explain what you mean. And while you are at it, provide your definition of real time.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,071 Views)

PCIs as in a card needed for a desktop/laptop that need to be purchase in order to communicate with the OMEGA.

from my research, i found this link

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/14338/en/

which tells me that i can measure thermocouples in 16-channel.

my real time definition means whatever my omega data is saving to labview. i want labview to save the same data. 

i want as close as a copy as i can make it.

the way it works now is that the data is copied into an excel sheet and excel will analyze the data. 

i would like to automate this using labview. i am sure i can do that..i  am just not sure of what instruments i need to purchase in order to make this happen.

here are the data i recieved that are saved from the omega

Date Time 1 [°C] 2 [°C] 3 [°C] 4 [°C] 5 [°C] 6 [°C] 7 [°C] 8 [°C] 9 [°C] 10 [°C] COLD [°C] HOT [°C]
8/26/2014 01:47.0 28.8 26.1 31.1 29.1 29.3 34.3 30.5 33.8 34.9 33 31.6 26.7
8/26/2014 01:47.1 28.7 26.2 31 29 29.2 34.5 30.5 33.7 34.7 32.8 31.7 26.3
8/26/2014 01:47.2 28.7 26.2 31 29 29.2 34.5 30.5 33.7 34.7 32.8 31.7 26.3

Best regards,
Krispiekream
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,060 Views)
That link makes no sense in regards to your question unless you want to replace the omega box.

You posted an ill formed link but after modifying it, the main page says it has a LAN connection. Your pc already has one of those otherwise you would not be connected to the internet and posting here. You can always add a second nic - pci, usb, etc. Depends on how you want the box connected. This really has nothing to do with LabVIEW.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,055 Views)

i actually would like to replace the omega, but i need to somehow validate that my reading from labview is identical or somewhat similar to the readings from the omega.

the omega display realtime signals fromthe reading. i might not watch to do that if labview cant provide the same results.

Best regards,
Krispiekream
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,048 Views)

ok..another question..lets just say i keep the current setup the same.

there is a break out box that is connected through that omega.

i can just simplity use a multi meter and read the TCs. 

What PCI or cards do i need in order to achieve my goal?

Best regards,
Krispiekream
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,041 Views)
Solution
Accepted by krispiekream
Then you should have said that in the first place.

Contact your local sales engineer and provide some details such as number of channels, sample rate, type of sensors, form factor, etc.

Once you have some hardware, you can write the samples to a file, just like the omega does. The comparison method is up to you.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,039 Views)

lol..i called my local sales person and they put me on hold for like 20 mins so i hang up. i guess ill try again.

Best regards,
Krispiekream
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,035 Views)
Twenty minutes doesn't seem that long compared to the last time I called comcast to complain.

An email works pretty well. Sometimes they're just busy.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,027 Views)