From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ODBC connection using ADO --> fluctuations while putting a record

Hi there,

I access a local database via ADO and ODBC. If I measure the time, a record needs to be put into the database (in loop), there are strange fluctuations. Averaged a record needs 75ms to be put into the db with an average deviation of 5ms.

If I rightclick into my frontpanel in order that a selection dialogue appears, the average time, a record needs falls to 1-3ms.

I have already tried to modify the process priorities, with no noticeable success!

Has someone an idea, what a probable reason might be?? Or knows someone, if the same fluctuations appear with the LabVIEW DB Connectivity Toolkit????

Thanks a lot,
Marc
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,336 Views)
Hello Marc,

I made a quick test with one of the examples that come with the LabVIEW Database Connectivity Toolkit. In a loop I repeatedly called the command
insert into inserttable (querytype, device, numsamples) values ('sql query', 'mydevice', 1872)
writing data to an Access database. The time I need for one iteration is varying slightly with an average rate of 2 or 3 ms. This rate is not influenced by rightclicking and opening context menus.

But since the Database connectivity toolset is using ADO as well I guess the problem is not to be found in the database access itself but somewhere else.

I find it strange that you say the loop time is increasing if you are opening a context menu. Are you stopping any processes by rightclicking that? What processes could that be? This would be the only explanaition I can think of right now. Are you using a lot of frontpanel objects? I would advice to have a look at your VI performance to see in which SubVIs use most processing time.
Ingo Schumacher
Systems Engineering Manager CEERNational Instruments Germany
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,319 Views)
thanks for testing it with the db connectivity toolkit... that day i made a lot of tests what it could be but nothing was able to improve the situation... then i had the brilliant idea to restart labview and since the point in time i also had average write times of 2-3 ms...

the problem occured just one more time and disappeared after restarting labview... maybe i forgot to close a lot of references :-\\ but if i let the whole frame run in a loop (tested that for about 2 hours) (connection open --> recordset open --> write 100 recordsets --> recordset close --> connection close) it doesn't seem that my code has any problems with references or memory holes...

i'm excited if i or someone else can point out, what the problem is...

cheers, marc
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,311 Views)