LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Numbers into textfield using boolean buttons and case structure?

Solved!
Go to solution
Highlighted

Hi!

I'm very new to these forums, and to LabVIEW in general. I'm currently trying to implement a calculator-ish, but without the operations (+ - * /).

I have 10 boolean buttons, named 0-9, and with these I want to basically write a sequence of numbers into a textfield. I've managed to solve the problem using an Event structure, but now i'd like to achieve the same result using a Case structure instead. The problem is that I can't identify which button has been pressed, so I can't make the program go to the correct case (0 to 9). Is there any simple solution to this that you guys could help me with? Maybe a property node that's generic for every button? I dont know πŸ™‚

Anyways, I'm attaching a simplified version of what I'm trying to achieve, withouh the code I don't know how to write obviously. πŸ˜‰

Thanks for your help in advance!

/Sebastian

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,494 Views)

You can build the boolean values into an array, then search the 1-D array of booleans to get the index value of the one that is TRUE.

You will probably want to rearrange them on the block diagram to index 0 is button 0, index 1 is button 1, ....,  and button "." is index 10.  You will also want to have a default case with a value of -1 for the situation where no buttons are pressed.

Message 2 of 5
(1,489 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author _Seb

Here is a way to do it: bundle the boolean values into an array, turn that into an 8 bit number and wire that to a case structure with a boolean radix

Message Edited by jmcbee on 03-31-2009 02:29 PM
Message 3 of 5
(1,482 Views)

Thanks you guys! You're amazing. Totally solved my problem. I also looked up the whole radix-story, and there I learned something new!

This seems like a great forum, with very helpful people. I will make sure to try to contribute myself, with whatever I can help with.

/Sebastian

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,469 Views)
Welcome to the forums!  You should check out Darren's Nuggets, and by that I mean there is a fellow who works for NI named Darren who posts weekly nuggets of wisdom, a great place to pick up new tricks (this is where I learned about the radix option for case structures). 
Message 5 of 5
(1,465 Views)