LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nugget: 1 of n : GEtting started with USB communication via VISA

Please don't post multiple times with the same question (this is the second time I've come accross this exact question).  It gets people annoyed.

Read the thread you have just posted in and if that doesn't help, then read the USB standard available at www.usb.org.

Shane.

0 Kudos
Message 61 of 104
(2,917 Views)

hello Shane,

I am using PIC18F14K50 installed usb. i am trying to communicate with the help of a labview. I am successful in reading the device but i am unable to write to the device. I am using PIC 18F14K50 as a mouse in a circle demo. Please can anybody throw a light how to perform control out function in Usb raw control communication.vi . I have read the usb specifiaction and HID specifiaction as told by you and read over the nugget part 1 & part 2 but i can only perform control In function and not control out function. When I put request (7) ,request type (0),value (100) ,Index (0 ), Length (12) for getting set descriptor value i got an error message ( ERROR : 1073807240) which states that VISA: ( Hex 0* BFFF0078) the value of some parameter ( which parameter is not known) is invalid. I know this a bit annoying and frustating to ask the same question but i will be more than happy if u can help me in this regard.The nugget 1 & nugget 2 both are excellent blog describing a usb raw communication.

0 Kudos
Message 62 of 104
(2,871 Views)

Hi Intaris,

I just tried to follow your example in the beginning of this thread.

When assigning the freshly created driver to a pc-mouse or a joystick Windows wouldn't accept it.

If I use other USB devices (non HID) the assignment of a RAW driver created with the Driver Wizard works fine.

Is there something else to consider when dealing with devices originally marked as HID?

Uli

0 Kudos
Message 63 of 104
(2,719 Views)

Uli,

which OS are you using.  All of my work was done on XP.  I don't have a single VISTA license and I haven't bought a Windows 7 licence yet.

I know that the Mac claims a HID for itself and no access is possible without writing a custom driver for it.  Perhaps Vista or Win7 does the same?

Shane.

0 Kudos
Message 64 of 104
(2,703 Views)

Shane,

thanks for the fast respond.

That's the strange thing about it: I am using an ordinary Windows XP 32 Bit (Service Pack 3)

Uli

0 Kudos
Message 65 of 104
(2,690 Views)

The VISA driver is unsigned, could this be a problem?

Depending on your security settings, XP may or may not allow installation of unsigned driver packages.

Shane.

0 Kudos
Message 66 of 104
(2,685 Views)
Shane, it must be something else since the procedure works for e.g. a USB to RS232 converter but it won't work for either mouse or joystick. To me it looks like a HID issue....
0 Kudos
Message 67 of 104
(2,662 Views)

Wierd.  It worked fine for me.  I used different Joysticks and mice (and keyboards) for testing and it worked fine for me.

Did you disconnect the device and re-connect after installing the driver?

Have you tried changing the dirver manually in the device manager while the HIDs are connected? 

Shane.

0 Kudos
Message 68 of 104
(2,650 Views)

Yes, I did. Windows allows my VISA made driver for a non HID device but not for HID devices.

0xff.png0x03.png

0 Kudos
Message 69 of 104
(2,646 Views)

And if you click on "Datenträger" and select the driver file manually?  Does that work?

I never really pay much attention to the "compatible Hardware" because it mostly has duplicate names on my machine.  I always prefer to directly select the driver file directly each time.

Otherwise I'll try it our this evening and report my findings.

Shane.

0 Kudos
Message 70 of 104
(2,639 Views)