From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Novice Needs Some Guidance

Hello All,

I'm just getting started with LabView, and could use some direction on a project. I'm looking more for guidance on how my application should be developed as opposed to specifics about individual features (although that may come later). I want to make sure that things get laid out logically, and that there isn't a pile of unnecessary code. Here's what I've got:

I'm using LabView 2010 Developer Suite for Windows, along with CompactDAQ hardware. I've got a mixture of about 50 thermocouple, voltage and current channels.  I plan on about 20 different screens or pages in the application, each showing both graphical and numerical displays of an assortment of these data channels. Each channel will go to more than one screen, and will be combined with a variety of other channel data depending on the particular screen. For example, screen A might have temperatures channels 1-8, while screen B might have temperature channels 5-8 along with analog current channels 32-36. One screen will simply show numeric data of all channels.

The process is fairly slow, so updates every few seconds should be sufficient. The only data analysis required will be high and low alarm limits on most channels.

Finally, I'd like to write all data, in a simple tabular format, to Microsoft Excel for archival purposes and sharing with an Engineering group. These data can be written at 30, or even 60, second intervals.

That's it in a nutshell. Any advice you can provide to help me keep this clean and simple would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,571 Views)

Hi Mike,

Without digging into you application. I would take a look at both the state-machine and producer comsumer design patterns. There is a really good resource for design patterns here and here.

Joe Daily
National Instruments
Applications Engineer

may the G be with you ....
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,524 Views)

Hi MikeKuz,

I suggest you to make a vi dedicated only to acquire data from hardware. You can use " functional global" concept to pass data to all other vis

as you mentioned   "Each channel will go to more than one screen"... So you do not have to write code to acquire data for each screen (Considering each screen as a vi).

One vi for logging data to excel sheet. Call this vi whenever you want to log data.

I hope this will help a bit

Best of luckSmiley Happy

Gaurav k
CLD Certified !!!!!
Do not forget to Mark solution and to give Kudo if problem is solved.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,501 Views)