From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not on local subnet

Solved!
Go to solution

So, I went ahead and just formatted the device and the sbRIO seems to have come up with DHCP enabled and falling back to 0.0.0.0 when there is no router response.  Now, I have no idea what to do with this.  Thoughts?

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 18
(1,050 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author cirrusio

Can you move temporarily to a network that has a DHCP server so that it will obtain an address. From there you can change the configuration to a static address that will work on the small private network.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 12 of 18
(1,048 Views)

> Can you move temporarily to a network that has a DHCP server so that it will obtain an address.

This was my thought - but I thought there might be a more elegant solution.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(1,044 Views)

So, this is awesome - I hook up a router with DHCP enabled.  Network is 192., sbRIO comes up 169.  Well, at least it has an IP address now, even if it didn't come up on the correct subnet.  Arrrrggggghhhhhh!

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(1,040 Views)

Is the DHCP server enabled on the router? That sounds like some very odd behavior.

Mark Yedinak
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 18
(1,037 Views)

> Is the DHCP server enabled on the router? That sounds like some very odd behavior.

Yup, and to be honest, I have seen similar behavior before.  THIS is why I didn't want to have to format and reconfigure the network settings.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(1,035 Views)

Are you able to get a network trace at the time the sbRIO is booting up? Does the sbRIO include the option to disable the link local address? If so, you may want to give that a try too.

Mark Yedinak
LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 18
(1,029 Views)

@cirrusio wrote:

So, this is awesome - I hook up a router with DHCP enabled.  Network is 192., sbRIO comes up 169.  Well, at least it has an IP address now, even if it didn't come up on the correct subnet.  Arrrrggggghhhhhh!

169.254.x.x/255.255.0.0 is APIPA, i.e. a random address that devices assign themselves if they cannot find a DHCP server but are configured to obtain one. By default, this is also enabled for windows, so if you don't have a DHCP server, your windows machine will also be on that same network and local communication can proceed. This is useful when connecting random devices on a simple network. (... but boot is slower, because it waits for DHCP timeout before completing startup).

So the question is why your sbRIO does not see the router (DHCP server). Are there any firewall rules, MAC filtering, or such configured on the router?

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 18
(1,026 Views)