From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not enough analog output pins on NI device (Matlab, LED lamp)

Hello,

we have the problem that we have only four analog output pins on our USB-6363-NI device for our project but need one more to control a LED lamp.

With the four analog output pins some neuronal recording devices are controlled. Now I need to activate a LED lamp (cool LED pE-100) with the NI device. This lamp needs TTL pulses to get turned on. When I plug the lamp to one of the analog output pins and send continuosly 5V through it, the camera turns on, as I want it to. When I send 0V through it, the lamp turns off. However, I can't control the camera like this because I need all four analog outputs to control my experiment. Thus, I need another way to turn on the camera with my NI device.

What I already tried:

• I plugged the lamp to PFI line and sent a digital trigger - but the lamp did not turn on (or it turned on too quick to be seen)

My question:

• is there any way, that I can use another pin on the NI board as an analog output and send 5V through it?
  • could I use a trigger to turn the camera on and off instead?
  • and if I can use a trigger - how can I trigger two devices separately with my NI board? I tried to make two trigger in matlab but this didn't work
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(652 Views)

Turning "on" or "off" is a "digital" thing, 0 or 1.  The PXIe-6363 has, I believe, 48 Digital I/O lines.  Figure how to make a simple circuit (it may take no more than a single resistor) to get a TTL line to turn an LED On or Off.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(618 Views)

Does the lamp have a threshold to turn on?  And how much current does the lamp require?  I ask because it looks like the DIO will range from 2V to 5V depending on temperature and current draw.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(611 Views)