From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-invasive AC current sensor

What do you have the current sensor clamped onto?

Have you contacted the vendor? You don't have a LabVIEW problem.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 21
(1,260 Views)

@gazza48h wrote:

i tried that circuit and sevsral simular circuits but cannot get a reading off my multi meter. I cannot understand it?? Any ideas?

Dennis is right you really do not have a LabView problem. But I will give you some hints. Your current transformer is rated at 1V=30Amps. That means about 0.033V/Amp. So unless you have this placed over a rather large current source it's going to be hard to read with a meter. Also remember that the CT will output an AC voltage.

The Arduino circut sets a 2.5VDC offset, so 0 amps = 2.5VDC and 30 Amps = 2.5VDC with 1VAC riding on top of it.

The software then removes the offset and does an RMS calculation on the ramaing AC component.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 21
(1,250 Views)

Another hint (that I hope is not necessary Smiley Wink).  You'll need a single wire with current flowing in one direction.  You cannot just clamp it onto the power cord of a lamp for instance. You would need to strip one conductor out and clamp around that.  

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
Message 13 of 21
(1,235 Views)

Thanks for the info. I figured out that i am only reading a current of 1 - 1.5 A which outputs a very low AC voltage of 34mV which my multimeter was unable to read. How will i interface this AC signal with my arduino and labview. Will i have to amplify the signal so the arduino can read it between 0 - 5v but that will still be AC. How do i create a DC signal so i can read it with  my arduino. I dont have great knowledge when it comes to voltage measurments so please bare with me. Any detailed help much appreciated 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 21
(1,224 Views)

@gazza48h wrote:

Thanks for the info. I figured out that i am only reading a current of 1 - 1.5 A which outputs a very low AC voltage of 34mV which my multimeter was unable to read. How will i interface this AC signal with my arduino and labview. Will i have to amplify the signal so the arduino can read it between 0 - 5v but that will still be AC. How do i create a DC signal so i can read it with  my arduino. I dont have great knowledge when it comes to voltage measurments so please bare with me. Any detailed help much appreciated 🙂

Did you read my previous posts about using a DC offset or look at the example DC offest circuit and Ardunio code I linked to that uses this exact same sensor?Smiley Frustrated

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 21
(1,220 Views)

thanks for your help, i built a non inverting op amp to generate my signal for my arduino to read. I came across a problem. All my analog input pins seem to be floating high to low when there no connection to the pin. Therefore when i connect my op amp to my arduino pin the readings are counteracting each other. Therefore i cannot determine my reading from my op amp.Hope i make some sense as its difficult to explain. Really need some help as i cannot get current reading from my tansducer onto my arduino.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 21
(1,182 Views)

What do you mean by "counteracting each other"?

Do you mean something like ghosting?  http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/C6C7DE575301A379862572DD00480A01

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 21
(1,172 Views)

@gazza48h wrote:

thanks for your help, I built a non inverting op amp to generate my signal for my arduino to read. I came across a problem. All my analog input pins seem to be floating high to low when there no connection to the pin. Therefore when i connect my op amp to my arduino pin the readings are counteracting each other. Therefore i cannot determine my reading from my op amp.Hope i make some sense as its difficult to explain. Really need some help as i cannot get current reading from my tansducer onto my arduino.

I have tried to help as much as I could as I have played around with an Arduino and have experience using current sensors. But I hate to say it this is defiantly not a LabView problem. I believe you need to read up on the Arduino and ask your question on an Arduous hardware based board.

Analog in pin description

http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/AnalogInputPins

Tutorial on reading analog input with native Arduino code (Wire)

http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/AnalogInput

Tutorial on reading analog input with LabView Arduino library

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-16067

LabView community dedicated to LabView Arduino library

https://decibel.ni.com/content/groups/labview-interface-for-arduino

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 21
(1,165 Views)

Basically i have 2.40v AC comming into my arduino but i cannot pick it up. Why is this?

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 21
(1,129 Views)

@gazza48h wrote:

Basically i have 2.40v AC comming into my arduino but i cannot pick it up. Why is this?

The analog input pin voltage is limited to 0-5VDC. Anything outside that range will damage your microcontroller.

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 21
(1,093 Views)