LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No remote systems are found in Max within VMware

Solved!
Go to solution

I have started using VMs and I don't see any remote systems listed in MAX from within the VM, but I see the remote system on my actual machine. It isn't a big deal because I can still run my code and connect to the RT Target from the project within the VM, but when I need to look at MAX it would be nice not to switch back and forth between my VM and computer. I'm wondering if this is behavior others have noticed, or is it possible my MAX database is corrupted? The whole remote systems section is not missing, just no hardware is found and listed under it when I refresh. I'm wondering if it's some issue with how the VM configures its TCP connection to work with the actual hardware. Hoping someone more knowledgable than I in this relm can point me in the right direction.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,765 Views)
Solution
Accepted by GregFreeman

You've probably done this, but have you made sure that your VM is set to a "Bridged" mode where the network connection between the VM and the Host allows it to get an address from an external DHCP server, and isn't just local to the host machine?  MAX can only auto-discover devices local to its subnet via a proprietary protocol (NI-DDP) or via AppleTalk (depending on how the devices are configured and what software is on them), and if the VM's network interface is in a "NAT" mode or in a "Host-Only" mode that interferes or completely blocks the discovery method.

-Danny

Message 2 of 5
(2,750 Views)

@Texas_Diaz wrote:

You've probably done this....

-Danny

Way too much faith in me there, Danny! I just checked and it's not selected. I'll attempt this and see what happens.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,738 Views)

@Texas_Diaz wrote:

You've probably done this, but have you made sure that your VM is set to a "Bridged" mode where the network connection between the VM and the Host allows it to get an address from an external DHCP server, and isn't just local to the host machine?  MAX can only auto-discover devices local to its subnet via a proprietary protocol (NI-DDP) or via AppleTalk (depending on how the devices are configured and what software is on them), and if the VM's network interface is in a "NAT" mode or in a "Host-Only" mode that interferes or completely blocks the discovery method.

-Danny

FYI, the first time I tried this it didn't work, then I tried again and it did. May have done something wrong the first time (maybe had the wrong VM selected) but this was certainly the solution.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,695 Views)

One more addition, I think I found what's happening and a work around, but I have to get with VM Ware to figure out why. The bridged connection was not immediately working. First, I go into the settings for the VM and set it to bridged. Then I got into the Virtual Network Editor and under the VMnet information section change Bridged to Host-Only, apply, then switch back to bridge and apply, it works. Weird. This now is a VM issue not a LV issue so I'll rest my case.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,670 Views)