From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No debug info on RT target

Solved!
Go to solution

Soooo....I think there is a simple answer to this, but I can't figure out why I can't get any debug info when attempting to connect via the development to an RT target that is not on the same subnet.  I am able to connect.  I can see front panel output.  But, I am unable to probe the values on the wires.  This works when I am on the same subnet, just not when I am running externally.  Any thoughts?

Matt

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,483 Views)

Have you actually tried connecting to your RT target on multiple subnets, or just the one at your office? At least with my work configuration, Windows firewall is disabled while I'm at the office, and enabled elsewhere. Windows Firewall will likely block the debug connection to an RT target, and you can't simply open a specific port as the debug port is picked at random, as explained here: What is the Port Number Assigned for Remote Debugging in LabVIEW?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,470 Views)
Thanks, Nathan, but the box sits in a DMZ so I don't think this is applicable.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,413 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author cirrusio
I'm referring to a firewall running on your local computer - Windows Firewall is part of Windows and filters connections into and out of your machine when enabled. Again, the way my work configures our machines, that filtering is enabled when the computer is not connected to the internal work network, maybe your situation is similar. The DMZ only means that your external firewall allows connections through; it has no effect on any additional firewall running on your local PC. See if Windows Firewall is running when you're unable to get a debug connection.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,381 Views)

The Firewall has three settings -- Domain, Private (Home or Work), and Public.  Generally, when LabVIEW itself opens the Firewall, it does so for Domain and Private (at least on my Work PC).  I'm guessing that the DMZ might be Public (though it is curious that some things work, some do not, but on the other hand, there are multiple LabVIEW Firewall settings ...).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,252 Views)

Appears that this is the follow-up to this thread: forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Connect-to-RT-system-behind-firewall/m-p/3154977 Maybe we should keep the discussion in one place, to make it easier for future readers to find the relevant information?

Bob, again, you don't know what you're talking about. The DMZ is a feature of an external router, and has nothing to do with the Windows firewall. The Domain, Private, and Public network settings pertain to the network to which the PC is connected. A DMZ exposes certain ports of a machine on an internal network to the external world. A particular remote address (for example, the RT system in question here) cannot be public, private, etc - it depends on the connection used to access it. If you're at your local coffeeshop on their public wifi network, then you'll be going through a Public connection to access the RT target. If you're in your office, you're likely going through a Domain connection, with different permissions, to access that same RT target.

If you're not sure what you're writing, why comment? It's not very helpful to post meaningless statements such as "I'm guessing the DMZ might be Public" since no such thing is possible. Feel free to chime in with questions that would clarify your understanding of the situation, though.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,243 Views)

My apologies.

BS

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,236 Views)

While DMZ has several meanings, in this case it means that all traffic directed to the public IP will be directed toward that box if the port specified on that box is open.  So, this means that if my public facing IP is 66.66.66.66, if you were to ping this address then you would get a response.  Likewise, if you need a service running on 8001, then you would be able to access that service via a call to that port.  This is just a way of exposng the box to the outside world without opening up a bunch of ports that might create problems for other devices on the LAN.

Thanks, Nathan.  I think you actually hit the nail on the head.  Although I have no control over ports on that particular computer (group policy), I was able to get debug information from another computer.

Matt

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,196 Views)