From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nice easy one! Laymans explanation of VI

I am in the process of writing a report and need a couple of sentances telling the reader what a VI is. At the moment i have the following text - To author the software within LabVIEW the programmer assembles block diagrams using logically related components resulting in a virtual instrument (or VI). VIs are self-contained programs that can be integrated into an overall software suite.

I think this is a pretty accurate description but my proof readers dont seem to like it! Does anyone have a nice basic desription of what VIs are or your thoughts would be appreciated on the matter.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,392 Views)
How about this...
"In Labview, you build a user interfaceby using a set of tools and objects. The user interface is known as the front panel. You then add code using graphical representations of functions to control the front panel objects. The block diagram contains this code. If organised properly, the block diagram resembles a flow chart."
The UI & block diagram together form a VI (Virtual Instrument) that may be recursively used in other VI's to build complete applications.

(the part in quotes is a direct copy from the NI 'getting started with Labview' manual
Message 2 of 4
(2,392 Views)
Sounds great to me, hope the proof readers like it!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,392 Views)
Thought you might also find the definition of a VI from the NI Measurement Encyclopedia useful:

virtual instrument.

1. A computer-based instrument using digital data acquisition or generation combined with software algorithms to create the functionality of an instrument.

2. A LabVIEW virtual instrument (VI), roughly equivalent to a subroutine. A VI has both a diagram (or program) and a front panel (user interface).
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,392 Views)