LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ni reports crashes with large amounts of data

I'm using labview 6.02 and am using some of the Ni reports tools to generate a report. I create, what can be, a large data array which is then sent to the "append table to report" vi and printed. The program works fine, although it is slow, as long as the data that I send to the "append table to report" vi is less than about 30kb. If the amount of data is too large Labview terminates execution with no error code or message displayed. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Does anyone know what is going on or better yet how to fix it?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,334 Views)
Hello,

I was able to print a 100x100 element array of 5-character strings (~50 kB of data) without receiving a crash or error message. However, it did take a LONG time...about 15 minutes for the VI to run, and another 10 minutes for the printer to start printing. This makes sense, because 100x100 elements is a gigantic amount of data to send into the NI-Reports ActiveX object that is used for printing. You may want to consider breaking up your data into smaller arrays and printing those individually, instead of trying to print the giant array at once.

I hope these suggestions help you out. Good luck with your application, and have a pleasant day.

Sincerely,
Darren N.
NI Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,334 Views)
I had the same problem back in January. I reported this to NI and they were eventually able to reproduce the problem. I don't remember the all details but it did not crash on the first machine they tried it on. When they used a machine similiar to mine 700Mhz WIN NT it did crash. Michael Schneider was the application engineer that worked on this issue. He reported that there was nothing that could be done about the time it took to run, and that they would work on a fix for the crash issue. As a work around I wrote the data to excel and created my report from there. I would still like to use the report generation tools.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,334 Views)