cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Array Problems

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All .

I am new to LabVIEW and have done a basic course however I have some issue with Arrays,Please help me understand this.

I am building an array with 10 elements (0-9) which gets populated with u8 data (for a CAN message Data)

this array gets send over USB to the CAN HW .this all works perfectly when each element does not contain a 0(zero) value ,

The problem is that once there is an 0 in a element all the Elements after the one containing the 0(zero) is not updated or populate with the new data,

as can be seen from the prints below .

my question how to force the array to always use and populate all elements or how is this handled in LabVIEW .

Here is the array when all elements are non zero 

1.jpg

The data received and send correctly by the CAN message(in Hex)

1.1.jpg

Once there is a 0 in an element all elements after the 0 never gets updates the 

2.jpg

2.2.jpg

The array building just for testing my error

3.jpg

I appreciate any help or information

Kind Regards

QMESAR

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learning is an endless process but needs to start some where
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,666 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author QMESAR

Hi qmesar,

The problem is that once there is an 0 in a element all the Elements after the one containing the 0(zero) is not updated or populate with the new data

This looks like a problem of the "USB Transfer" subVI or the hardware you use: the array is built correctly in your "main" VI…

As you don't supply any information for both items we cannot help you with detailed explanations!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 6
(2,655 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

This looks like a problem of the "USB Transfer" subVI or the hardware you use: the array is built correctly in your "main" VI…

Dear GerdW.

Thank you very much for your answer,I appreciate this.

I expected the supplied Vi from the HW manufacturer I will inform them and see if they can help with the sub VI,as for the HW I am 99% sure it is working correctly as using my own firmware in C on the unit CAN is doing all as expected.

Kind Regards

QMESAR

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,647 Views)

Could it be a case of the USB transfer assuming 0-terminated array, like a C-style string? Does 0 require some special handling? In some systems e.g. 0 could be a special character sign require some transformation (though you'd think the USB Transfer should handle that).

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 4 of 6
(2,633 Views)

Hi Yamaeda 

Thank you for your comments  .

I would think the USB handle the array as it is bytes in U8 however I have no contacted the supplier I was afraid it me doing something stupid in  LabVIEW and wanted to make sure with you guys first ,I will report back once I have more information

Kind Regards

QMESAR 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,623 Views)

Hi All 

Just to report back on this topic,

As you all mentioned I handle the Array correctly the supplier has fixed a bug in the supplied dll and sub Vi for the USB Transfer  

all is working fine now 

Thank once again for all the help

Regards 

QMESAR 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,564 Views)