LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbee Question: How do I connect a combo box selection to the output terminal?

Smiley Frustrated

I want to use a Combo Box in a VI to select from a list of strings to direct execution in TestStand.

• How do I connect the selected string in the combo box to the output terminal of the VI so I can see it in TestStand?
  • What do I use as the "value" in TestStand module parameter to retreive the result of this VI?

I tried "wiring" the result of the combo box directly to an output terminal without sucess.

I tried "wiring" the output of the combo box to a string variable; wiring that variable to an output terminal without success.

(see attached files)

Can anyone give me an example of a VI that will select from a list of strings: {"Bob", "Mary", "Bill", "Jennifer",...} using a

combo box (or similar) control and routing the selected string to the output terminal? 

Thanks in advance for suffering through this fundamental question.

David

Melbourne, Florida

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,665 Views)

Like this? Download both, and run the RunMe.vi

Best regards,

Jarle Ekanger, MSc, PhD, CLD
Flow Design Bureau AS

- "The resistance of wires in LabVIEW is not dependent on their length."
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,658 Views)

I can't see the suggested code since it's in LabVIEW 2012, but if you're using a Combo box, then you can simply pass out the value of the combo box directly to a string indicator. No hoops needed.

If this is what is shown in the suggest code, then ignore this response.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,629 Views)

Thank you for the reply, what is the name of the string passed to TestStand? I am trying Step.Result.Status (the vi used is a generic "action" step) and it does not seem to work.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,622 Views)

By "Selected string" I assume you mean the string displayed to the user rather than the value of the combo box.  I would not use a combo box in this case. I would use a type defined enum instead.  TestStand will display the string but uses the integer value for calculations and expressions.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,613 Views)
Of course it does not work. Status is a boolean. Did you create a TestStand string variable that you want to use?

There is a Using LabVIRW With TestStand document that you should review.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,611 Views)