LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to labview

Hi all,

I am new to Lab view, and have had basics I and II, and Intermediate I. Our lab is changing over from Lab Tec, to Lab view and all our existing hard wear (DAQ boxes) as well. I do NOT have any programming background at all. I am finding Lab view very frustrating and confusing. I am aware that Lab view is a lot more program then we need, but I am stuck with it, and have to make it work. At this point I am trying to turn on an air valve for around 4 seconds and then back off and make it cycle in this manner. I have a basic program that was written by a programmer, but it only controls a motor on/off with a boolean button, no timer, and not repeating for cycles. I am using a 9401 module on/off and controlling a solid state relay in order to accomplish this. Any input is welcome, as I need all the help I can get at this point. So simple for many of you to do, yet very frustrating to me.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 21
(2,845 Views)

Jeff_Spencer wrote:

........ and have had basics I and II, and Intermediate I......... do NOT have any programming background at all..

I would say this is a good knowledge to build your application!

Hey Jeff!

I would suggest you to look for the digital I/O examples using the LabVIEW Example Finder (Help>Find Examples) or under ..\LabVIEWx.x\examples\DAQmx\...
Then just try one of the examples with your hardware (must be cDAQ-9172?) and if you have problems again developing your code just post again your VI and I'm sure we will help you!

Christian
Message 2 of 21
(2,835 Views)
As Christian mentioned, the examples is a good source for learning some LabVIEW techniques. The "Write Dig Chan" is the one you probably want to look at. With a few simple mods it should do what you want. Basically, you need to change the DAQmx Write to write a single line rather than a port, and then add a delay between turning it on and turning it off. Attached is a modified example to get you started. You will likely find that you will want to add to it, or change its behavior over time.

Message Edited by smercurio_fc on 01-08-2008 09:28 AM
Message 3 of 21
(2,830 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 21
(2,812 Views)
Hello!

I'm not really new to Labview, but still practicing. At school we use Labview 7.0. Now, I'm working in an electronic company, and I am to measure ultrasonic vibration of a device. I was provided with a DAQ and a Labview 5.0, they said the DAQ is only capable of using only version 5.0. A program was shared to me by a friend, a Spectrum Analyzer VI created using version 7.0.  I'm trying to reconstruct the shared Spectrum Analyzer, but it is very difficult since there are Vis that are not available in 5.0 such as FFT Power spectrum (waveform measurement) and Waveform Generation functions. Are there an add ons or downloads of where I can find these VIs and functions? I was also hoping that someone could work on this conversion in this forum since I'm running out of time. This is still a very difficult program for me because I'm sill learning. Please help me on his.. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 21
(2,801 Views)
Yes it is a cDAQ-9172
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 21
(2,800 Views)

Jayberns,

You should really start a new thread with your question, otherwise your question will get confused with Jeff Spencer's questions.  In your new thread, please provide some more details as to what DAQ hardware you are using so everyone can know why you can only go up to LV 5.0 with it.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21
(2,793 Views)
Thank you smercurio… That gives me a great start on what I am trying to do, a few mods here and there, and I think this will work just fine THANK YOU!
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21
(2,791 Views)
Ok thanks.. I'll check tomorrow..  I'm also worried on the reliability of the measurements of using the older version. I will be measuring frequencies around 500k Hz - 10M Hz. I'm using an optical setup Laser Doppler Velocimetry which uses the concept of inte4rferometry. The beat of the reflected beam is captured by a photo detector and the signal will be  processed using FFT to determine the frequency. 
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 21
(2,783 Views)
I cant really tell wa card it is, it says CCA LAB PC-1200 and interface box CB-50LP. Its very old.. Do you think its realiable measuring around 500k Hz, the photo detector can measure around 50Mhz rise and fall intensiy (beats). Where will I send my Spectrum Analyzer so that someone could help me on this?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 21
(2,750 Views)