From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Front Panel Default Color in LabVIEW 2011

I recently installed LabVIEW 2011, setting it up the same way as earlier versions of LabVIEW, in particular choosing the Modern Control Palette.  To my surprise, when I opened a new Front Panel, it's background appeared much lighter than I expected, a significant contrast to all of my earlier VIs.  At first, I thought I may have chosen the "Silver" controls by mistake, but this was not the case.  All of my new VIs have Front Panels looking very different from the many VIs I've written using LabVIEW 7, 8, 2009, and 2010 -- I wanted LabVIEW 2011 VIs to have a consistent look with the many VIs that are already "out there".

Fortunately, there is a fix to change LabVIEW 2011 to produce "Old Standard" Front Panels (a "Thank You" to an NI engineer who helped me find this).  Open LabVIEW 2011, go to Tools/Options, choose Environment, find Colors, uncheck "Use default colors", select "Front Panel", and

choose the User color box called "Classic Object" (it's toward the right, next to a bluish box).  Note that the Classic Object has a Grey value of 179, while the "New Standard" Front Panel's Grey is 226, a pretty big difference.  Incidently, it doesn't appear that any of the other Color default colors were changed.

Bob Schor

[To paraphrase Henry Higgins, "It doesn't matter if the VI actually does anything, as long as it Looks Good ..."]

Message 1 of 3
(2,240 Views)

@BOB Schor wrote:

[To paraphrase Henry Higgins, "It doesn't matter if the VI actually does anything, as long as it Looks Good ..."]

Except that the lighter grey actually looks better. 😄

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,237 Views)

altenbach wrote:

Except that the lighter grey actually looks better. 😄

That may be (Eye of the Beholder, and all that), but if I've got several hundred VIs in my current Project and add one "odd-ball" light one when I switch to LabVIEW 2011, it's a bit jarring.  [Hmm, I need a catchy quote about Consistency ...].

BS

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,234 Views)