From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New FPGA IO -- No resource available

Hi,

I use Compact RIO and have several C modus installed. When I right click on FPGA target and select new FPGA IO at the available resource column I got no resource available. I wonder what could be the reason? Basically what I want to do is to create a FPGA IO and assign it to a specific IO channel. When I change the hardware configuration in the future I only need to assign the FPGA IO to different hardware channel so I don't need to change any program. Thanks!

Tom

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,841 Views)
You cannot right click on the FPGA target to select new I/O for C Series Modules; those I/O points are for the FPGA target itself, eg: Sleep, System Reset etc. If you need I/O points for the modules, you will need to right-click on the relevant module (New->FPGA I/O). If you don't have the modules exposed right now, right-click on the FPGA target and navigate to New->C Series Modules, all associated I/O channels will be exposed in the ModX virtual folder. If you replace the module in a particular slot with a similar module, then you don't have to change anything in your application. That addresses your concern of FPGA I/O being associated with a particular channel.
Message Edited by Adnan Z on 01-07-2009 06:37 AM
Adnan Zafar
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Coleman Technologies
Message 2 of 11
(4,826 Views)

Hi Adnan,

Thanks for your reply. You are right. But LabVIEW also automatically populated all the FPGA IOs in virtual folder.  If I want to assign a IO to different channel I have to delete the channel that I want to assign  in the virtual folder and the FPGA IO channel then becomes available. 

Regards,

Tom

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,813 Views)

Hi Tom,

Alternatively, you can do a right-click on the FPGA IO item in the virtual folder and select "Select Resource" to re-bind the FPGA IO to a different physical channel. However, (as you already said) you need to delete an FPGA IO item that is already associated to the channel, since you are only allowed to have a single FPGA IO associate to any given channel.

JMota

Message 4 of 11
(4,801 Views)

Hello Adnan

Can you please help me out regarding the same matter..

under the project explorer I find all my modules and controller.. but when I want to add FPGA IO under a specific module say in slot#1, it says it already contains all FPGA IO resources on this module..

and under MOD1 all i have is Mod1/direction

Mod1/step and Mod1/User LED..

how can I approach digital IO's????

moreover the C series module physically doesnot indicate any LED on..although I have given external power connected motor...software detects but no Leds ON...

mayb I have to enable its drive..whats the process.

And please if u can give me your contact #..

Regards

Sara Baber

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,435 Views)

You will need to list down what controller, chassis and module you are working with it. Also, a snapshot of your Project Explorer will help.

Adnan Zafar
Coleman Technologies
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,430 Views)

I have attached the image..

controller is NI CRio 9074 and the c series module is NI 9501...

with 9501 its a single axis stepper drive module so i guess only these three things will be available not Digital IO like in others..

thats what I think tell me if I am right..??

now the issue is c series module doesnot show physcally thats its connected...I have to enable its drive how can I do that...

plus when i run  example given in help (Veloity Control (open loop)- NI 9501).it shows alot of break points..how to get rid of them??

beacuse I donot know the programing through FPGA at this stage. how can i just run exmple drctly

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,423 Views)

Exactly. You are using the 9501, and those are the only things you need anyways.

I am not sure how that particular module functions. I would suggest you have a look at the user manual for that module to get it to work.

Adnan Zafar
Coleman Technologies
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(4,421 Views)

okay so can you please tell me y i am getting errors in the examples that are build in when i try to run it under my controller?

or otherwise how can i add my controller instead of the one thats already added in the examples..how do I have to change the IP of existing one?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,419 Views)

hello

I have successfully run single motor using the open loop eample.I want to know what i have to do to run multiple motors at the same time??

can you please help me out?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,402 Views)