LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Driver Download... Labview can't find VIs?

Hello,

I just downloaded and (presumably) installed the tktds4xx driver to control a  Tektronix TDS 430A Oscilloscope using the Labview 8.2 "find instrument drivers" function. Since then, there's only a few of the available VIs with this driver that don't have a question mark in the icon box, so I can't use them. It wouldn't be at all surprising if another student downloaded the driver (and used it) before, infact I'll be this did happen, I'm just not sure how I can make sure labview looks in the right place for the llb's from now on... 

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Ryan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,796 Views)
Instrument drivers get installed into the LabVIEW\instr.lib directory. If you installed 8.2 using the default location, then on Windows this would be "C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.2\vi.lib\instr.lib". You can check to see if your instrument driver is there. As for the search locations this can be checked via the LabVIEW options dialog. Tools -> Options, then change to the "Paths" tab. Check to see what the "VI Search Path" is set to.
Message 2 of 5
(3,787 Views)

Yes, the driver is in the LabVIEW\instr.lib director except it's "C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.2\instr.lib" - was that a typo in your message? instr.lib is not a subdirectory of vi.lib... At least for my filestructure. I also had a look at the paths tab under the options menu and added the literal path names "...\LabVIEW8.2\instr.lib" and "...\LabVIEW8.2\vi.lib" right to the top of the list, however, when I restart labview and mouse over to drivers>tkds4xx vis> all of the offending vis still have question marks in the icon box.

I'm not really sure why this keeps happening but it doesn't seem like a very difficult problem - if I could get some more help in resolving it, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Ryan
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,755 Views)

Oops. Sorry about that. Yeah, that "vi.lib" should not have been there. The problem with that driver is that the menu files are incorrect. The icons with the question mark are looking for the VIs to be in "C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.2\instr.lib\_shared\Tktdsxxx.llb". I have no idea why. When the menu palette was created it was done that way. Thus, if you create a "_shared" folder in the "instr.lib" folder and copy the tktdsxxx.llb file to this directory then the icons will be there.

Fundamentally, I think the driver's menu files need to be fixed.

Message Edited by smercurio_fc on 10-03-2008 01:21 PM
Message 4 of 5
(3,747 Views)

Thanks for your very informative post... I'll be trying this when I'm in the lab first thing Monday, have a great weekend.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,734 Views)