LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network drives fail (drives used to share databases among multiple computers).

I am using databases on multiple computers to store test results for a production line. The computers share info from thier databases with each other using dsn's made with the ODBC Windows XP Admin Tool (Control Panel). This works well most of the time but occasionally one of the network drives fails - I have to disconnect and then use ODBC to make a new connection (a new dsn). Why are the network drives failing? Should I use somenthing else that is more reliable? datasocket? Shared Variable? GArmstrong@MavSysInc.com
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,698 Views)

What do you mean by "network drives fail"?  Do me that means you have hard drives in other PC's or servers on the network physically breaking down.  Since you are asking about software protocols, I am guessing that is not what you mean.

Can you provide more details as to what you mean?  What kind of error messages are you getting?

Message Edited by Ravens Fan on 12-02-2009 11:38 PM
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,693 Views)
When the LabVIEW applications goes to retrieve data using the Database toolkit from another computer the program fails. To get the software to work properly I have to use Tools under Windows Explorer to "disconnect" the drive and then the ODBC tool under Admin Tools to reconnect (make a new dsn with a network drive).
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,678 Views)

Gary MavSysInc,

When you say that your program fails, are you referring to the same thing as your LabVIEW Application that is reterieving data? If so, what do you mean by it fails? Is there an error message? Does it Crash? What happens when it "fails"?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Ben Sisney
FlexRIO V&V Engineer
National Instruments
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,662 Views)
I'm not on site with the application so I can't answer your question. I will be there tomorrow and will give you an exact transcript. But in general the DB Toolkit SW (VIs) that executes the SQL statment cannot connect to the DB on the remote computer (through the network drive). After I unmapped and redefine the network drive everything is fine.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,655 Views)

How does it work outside of a database or LabVIEW application?  Can you browse a file directory or open a small file such as a text file off the drive?

It really sounds to me like you have a networking or Windows problem here as opposed to a LabVIEW problem.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,644 Views)
Definitely a Windows XP problem, I agree. If not here where can I go for answers? I am suspecting that it has to do with the system being shut down improperly or the fact that LabVIEW 861 has been crashing when building installers (which is a LV problem).
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,635 Views)

Do you have any IT support?

If you can prove that it is a Windows or network problem with LV completely out of the picture, then your IT dept. should be responsible for figuring out why you have to go through the process of disconnecting and remapping the drive.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,630 Views)