LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Published Variables not accessible by other computers on the Network

Solved!
Go to solution

I am trying to create a system where one computer will output network variables which any computer on the network can see, this includes someone bringing in a laptop and connecting for a short time.  So I have been looking through a lot of the forums to find an answer and tried a fair number of the solutions and nothing has worked.

This is where I am at.  On a single computer if I update a network variable it appears on the NI DSM (Distributed System Manager) under that computer's name, and I can use that variable and it is updated.  Any other computer connected to the network also appears on the DSM.  On the other computer, it sees the first computer in the DSM, but can not see anyone of the variables.  I have also register the computer's with IP addresses, but that does not help.  Has someone had this problem and know how to fix it?  I have had the same problem using my code for the project and the example code in Shared Variable Comms Between Executables.Ivproj.

Thank you for your time

Mitchell

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,749 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MWorner

I had some problems lately with Network Streams. I know its not nearly the same as Shared variables, but it uses the same underlying process in windows. In my case, it was the windows firewall in Windows 7 that has the problem.

This link help me configure my firewall correctly:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/0D7B86F4B4D19A5E86256F9A006EECB1

Message 2 of 6
(2,738 Views)

Thank you very much for the recommendation.

When I was going through it I could not find any of the files that were mentioned to allow access through.  I have Labview 2013 SP1 installed.  Do you have an idea why this files wouyld be missing?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,726 Views)

What version of Windows do you have ?

And what bit version, 32 bit or 64 bit, of Windows do you have?

On my Windows 7 64 bit version, I have add these two files to the firewall:

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\lkads.exe

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\lktsrv.exe

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,699 Views)

I found the files in the 64 bit files.  This is weird because I am running a 32 bit system, but it does work now.

Thank you for your time

Mitchell
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,683 Views)

Remember that there are two thing that can have bit version, Windows and LabVIEW

You can have a 64bit Windows and run both 32bit AND 64bit version of LabVIEW

or

you can have 32 bit Windows and only run 32bit LabVIEW.

On modern PC's it most likely be Windows 64bit and LabVIEW 32bit.

SysWOW64 folder are for the 32bit system components, NOT 64bit components.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,679 Views)