LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Attached Storage (NAS) compatible with Linux cRIO?

Can anyone recommend a Network Attached Storage (NAS) device that's compatible with a Linux-based cRIO/sbRIO? How do you set up access to the network drive? We'd like to write high-speed data to it, and be able to retrieve those files from other computers on the office network.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,731 Views)

Ni nathand,

To the best of my knowledge, you can communicate with NAS drives through standard network communication protocols such as TCP/IP or FTP. In general we recommend against writing large pieces of data through a network, since you are introducing additional points of failure and increasing the workload to your embedded system. However if it is on a local network, network bandwidth shouldn't be too large an issue unless you have massive datarates. Make sure to verify whether or not your network is capable of handling the data transfer. 

As for setting up the network drive, I would recommend consulting with the user manual and/or technical support for the network drive, since it is dependent on their system. If you are setting up your own FreeNAS server, I'm afraid at best I would only be able to recapitulate top google searches on the subject. Hopefully someone more familiar with setting up NAS systems will be willing to step in and speak up, but I would also recommend other forums (e.g. linux communities, DIY communities, reddit, etc.).

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,674 Views)

We solve this by writing data to files on a local location; usually an SD card formatted to Ext3 format. Finished files are defragmented and sent to the NAS using the LabVIEW-native WebDAV VIs.

Best regards,

Jarle Ekanger, MSc, PhD, CLD
Flow Design Bureau AS

- "The resistance of wires in LabVIEW is not dependent on their length."
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,180 Views)

I am trying to make it work on my system.

Could you please share your code? Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,775 Views)

I don't have any code to share; it turned out no extra code was needed. I was able to mount the NAS using NFS, making the NAS appear as a local directory on the cRIO, and then I could log to it. I did not need to install any additional packages on the cRIO. The information from this post https://forums.ni.com/t5/NI-Linux-Real-Time-Discussions/Issue-in-mounting-NFS-share-on-compactRio-90... was critical in getting the NAS mounted automatically when the cRIO boots. It worked well with two different models of NAS, one from Western Digital and I've forgotten who made the other one (it was no longer available when we wanted to buy an additional one, so we moved to Western Digital). Make sure you buy a NAS that supports NFS.

Message 5 of 5
(2,766 Views)