LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to select a directory name.

I need a dialog that will allow me look through my computer and select a directory name only. The file name is automatically generated, I figured this part out.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,676 Views)
You can use File Dialog Function with select mode of 3 (select an existing direcory). Then use the path output to obtain selected directory. Right click on select mode connector terminal and create constant to see all the availble options.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,676 Views)
In the File I/O>Advanced File Functions palette is the File Dialog function. It allows for selection of existing directories. Create a constant for the select mode input (it'll be an enum) and choose "existing dir".
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,676 Views)
Thanks for your answers, but I already found how to use a "File Dialog Function" from looking at other postings. But I guess it's not working the way I am expecting.

I attached a constant to the select mode input and set it to "existing dir" mode 3. Then attached a start path control to the start path.

Now when the dialog opens to select a "directory", I can only select a file. The directory information is in the total file path but I really don't want to select on a file. I need to select a directory and have this information show up. I don't want to see a file name in the final selection.

Any more information?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,676 Views)
At the bottom, right hand side of the dialog box that comes up, there is "Select Cur Dir" button.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,678 Views)
I, too, would like a way to select a directory other than navigating into it, and then using the "Select cur dir" button. This trips up almost every novice user of LabView applications.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,627 Views)