LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to run VI on boot or call from other application

I am looking for the most basic way to get Labview to run a VI upon bootup or call from another application (without having to hit the run button on the toolbar.) I would rather not have to build an application; I don't want to buy the professional version. I want my data acquisition to recover from a power outage reboot and keep going without human intervention. Is there a way to build an init that launches the VI in run mode? A colleague of mine has convinced me labview is the way to go for a new experiment, but this is one stumbling block that needs to be resolved. Thanks for any help you can give.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,169 Views)
Try setting your main VI to run when opened (VI Properties>Execution) and putting a shortcut to the VI in the Startup folder.
Message 2 of 4
(2,169 Views)
Hello!

Dennis� idea sounds very good to me!

I just wanted to clarify that you do not need to buy the Professional version of LabVIEW to have Application Builder. You can buy the Application Builder itself as an add-on to the version that you already have.

Hope this helps!

S Vences
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,169 Views)
i have used the startup folder to run labview vi's on several machines and it *can* work just fine.

however, sometimes there is a timimg problem and i get the message 'vi not found,' then labview usually loads the vi and runs - but leaves the error message, which can cause problems with later operations.

today i had this problem with a 3.4 G HP machine running Win200. Labview 7.1 & DAQmx.

my work around solution is to use the *MarcroScheduler* program. i call a it from the startup folder. it does the following
(a) start Labview 7.1
(b) wait 1 minute
(c) execute the vi.

without the wait state, Labview 7.1 will not run the vi properly.

good luck with your applications.

cu,
larryb
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,169 Views)