LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to double check value set by VI server?

I've come across code recently that is using VI server to manipulate controls in other LabVIEW-built applications and they are setting a value and then checking that value immediately afterwards.  This seems strange to me.  I would assume that if the value didn't get set then there would be an error coming from the property node that is being used to set the value.

So, is there any reason why you would need to check the value of a control that you just set via VI Server?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,543 Views)
No, I have never seen a value not get written and am error was not returned. My guess is that the code was written by someone who was unfamiliar with LabVIEW -- or just paranoid.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,529 Views)

It is always difficult to make judgements about "invisible code".  I agree with Mike that what you describe doesn't make sense, but I have to wonder if what you describe is entirely what is happening.

Can you post the "code using VI Server" and let us "see for ourselves"?  I can think of some circumstances where one might want to have such a check (for example, if you set a value and it comes back as "the same as before", maybe the code that you think is running on the other machine has crashed ...).  Once we see what you're looking at, we can make fewer guesses.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,523 Views)