LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with ActiveX

I am having trouble with an application that I built in Labview 8.5 on Windows XP machine using ActiveX to communicate with Microsoft Outlook 2007. The application uses ActiveX to open a reference to the Outlook application. With the reference to the Outlook application my code gets all kinds of information from the calendar in Outlook. My application works fine on my computer as LabVIEW VIs and also as a built executable. The executable works fine on another colleagues computer too when running as a built executable. But on another computer, this application is just not working and not producing any error messages. It seems to run fine but it seems there is no communication with Outlook 2007 at all. There is no errors, but no data is pulled in from Outlook. LabVIEW is installed on the 2 computers where the application is working fine, only the run-time engine is installed on the 1 computer where the application isn't working. But it would be silly to have to install LabVIEW on any machine that I want to run this application, if that is even the problem, not sure if it is.

Any ideas on this.... When LabVIEW is installed, is there certain things that are installed with it that enable ActiveX communication? Is there some way to enable ActiveX communication within Outlook 2007? (I have looked around for this but cant find the option anywhere).

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks  

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,403 Views)

It is odd that LabVIEW is not giving you any errors in your application.  How is your error handling being performed?  Without any errors it will be fairly difficult to research this problem.  Also, while I completely agree that it would be silly to install LabVIEW on every machine for this application, it would be helpful to know whether or not the issue is related to the development environment. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,371 Views)

Thank you very much for your reply Burt. It turns out that the issue wasn't with ActiveX communication at all. The one computer that the application wasn't working on had some events in the Outlook calendar that had some strange settings and caused some loops in the application to continuously run. I put an indicator that showed how many items the ActiveX communication was grabbing from Outlook, and when I ran it on this one computer, sure enough it was greater than 0. So I then knew the error was somewhere else. I was able to debug it by copying the events from their calendar into mine and then running the code in the development environment. 

Anthony 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,356 Views)