LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help to communicate with newport optical power meter 1936-c in Labview

Hallo all who read this thread,

I am trying to program newport optical power meter 1936-c in Labview but could not communicate with the instrument over USB connection.

I have installed the drivers necessary for the operation of the optical power meter from newport website:

ftp://download.newport.com/Photonics/Power%20Meters/x936-C_x1928-C_1918-C_R_%20Software_Suite/

I am running windows XP service pack3, 32 bit version.I believe I have installed the correct version of the driver for communication with the device over USB connection.The application software provided by the newport runs correctly, and I am sending and receiving the commands,but when I try to connect to the power meter using Labview sample programs provided by newport, I am not able to send or receive anything,instead the program seems to run an infinite loop and i get no reply until I have to restart the program.I am using Labview service pack 9 and I have tried all the sample programs 7.x ,8.x and 2009 version,but unfortunately no progress(:

I am trying to send a power command PM:Power? to the power meter to get the power.But it doesnot give anything.

For this puspose I have found somewhere on the forum this file: NP_GeneralDrivers_LV8.llb (file attached).I have used sample query program with this file but still the device is not responding .I dont know how to proceed now, as I have only basic knowledge of Labview programming.

I have attached some screenshots of the program I am currently using:

I would highly appreciate if someone could help me.

kind regards,

shami

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 20
(12,442 Views)

Hello,

I am also trying to interface power meter 1936 C. I am using the labview sample programs (directly without any modification) given in the newport CD. I am attaching it below. But the USB driver file I could not find. It shows an exclamatory mark in device manager. Also when I run the code it shows that not able to open the device. Please help me to fix this problem

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 20
(12,068 Views)

@kuttus wrote:

Hello,

I am also trying to interface power meter 1936 C. I am using the labview sample programs (directly without any modification) given in the newport CD. I am attaching it below. But the USB driver file I could not find. It shows an exclamatory mark in device manager. Also when I run the code it shows that not able to open the device. Please help me to fix this problem

Please read the documentation that comes with the software. From the ReadMe:

In order for a computer to communicate with the 1830-R, 1918-R, 1928-C or 1936-C/R,2936-C/R a full install of the computer interface software is needed.

The "computer interface software" is available on the Newport site, not from National Instruments since Newport makes the meter.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 20
(12,063 Views)

Dear all,

I have the same problem as described here above.

I have installed the required drivers. The instrument is indeed recognise. But I am unable to get any data (even the IDN !)

Was someone able to get some data from its 1936-c ?

Thanks in advance,

Fabian

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 20
(11,303 Views)

I have the same problem (Newport 2936C actually) - can't see the USB device in e.g. NI Max under "Devices and interfaces"

I've installed the newport device drivers: Computer Interface Software v3.0.2 from Newport ( http://search.newport.com/?q=*&x2=sku&q2=2936-R ).

I even upgraded the intrument's firmware.

The drirver Seems to install OK - I can see the device (Newport Power Meter)  listed under the Wndows Universal Serial Bus Controller list, yet no listing in NI-MAX 

I've tried this with 3 different computers (XP & Windows 7, LabVIEW 2012 & 2013) now to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Reuel

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 20
(11,120 Views)
It's not supposed to be listed in MAX. It's not an NI device, nor usbtmc, nor a serial port.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 20
(11,113 Views)

Thanks for the thought that USB devices shouldn't appear in NI MAX.

However, at

http://www.ni.com/getting-started/set-up-hardware/instrument-control/usb-connect 

there is an illustration of finding Tektronix USB devices in NI-MAX. Should this work for a Tektronix device and not a general USB instrument??

The Newport sample LabVIEW codes are also failing to find the instrument.

Thanks,

Reuel

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 20
(11,103 Views)
The link is broken but I know what you are referring to and it has nothing to do with your device. There is no such thing as a general usb instrument and to repeat MAX is not supposed to detect it.

Since the vendor's software doesn't detect it, you don't have a problem with LabVIEW either.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 20
(11,099 Views)

Hi Shami,

Not sure if it's too late to mention that it's possible to communicate with the Newport 1918, 2935, & 2936 C/R series power meters using VISA.

Use the NI-VISA driver Wizard (Programs\NationalInstruments\VISA) to create a VISA device-driver, then, in MAX, the device will appear as a RAW USB port.

The two attached infs - for XP and Win7 - were created this way.

I think usbdll.dll (the "Jungo" driver) limits communication to one PM per application. Also, with usbdll.dll, I encountered a 2sec USB-related delay/timeout (for which there may have been a workaround).  Using VISA avoids both these issues, at the expense of having to write your own LabVIEW drivers.

Hope it helps!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 20
(10,971 Views)

I recently found that the USB driver provided in newport's v3.0.2 package doesn't work for WIN8.1. Newport supporting team confirmed it and told me that I can use the USB driver included in the software package for model 8742 (http://assets.newport.com/webDocuments-EN/images/PicomotorApp_2.0.4.zip) instead which is a new updated version. I tried and it works for me.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 20
(10,764 Views)